Tree survey records

APC

Looking at investing in software to input tree survey records and plot them on a map. Perhaps one that you input into a handset in the field, and bung into a computer on return? Our paper copies keep going in and out their folder and get tatty and occasionally unreadable (plus my handwriting is terrible).

Any advice would be good please. Would prefer to keep costs as low as possible so doesn't need to go "ping" or have many flashing lights.

Cheers.

There are lots of options. What have you seen - perhaps if you fire out some specific questions about different programs and PDAs we can answer them directly.

Things to consider:

Budget? You have said keep it cheap - are you looking for less than a grand?

Use? Is it for BS5837 type work, risk assessments, large scale data or small?

Do you need GPS/GIS capabilities?

Do you need something compatible with AutoCAD?

I have tried a few and looked at lots so happy to help if you have particular questions.

Cheers for getting back to me!

Budget <£1,000

To include 100's of records. Unlikely to reach 1,000. To cover a country park of 1,000 acres, all trees owned by us.

Basic tree survey to include location, species, risk, hazard, action (something that can prioritise work into a plan, i.e. several of us can bog off for the day on site and cover different sections of the park, come back at the end of the day and amalgamate all our records into one place without leaving a pile of paper. If we were to put a timescale in which particular trees needed attention then I would like a calender to remind us.

I currently have no access to GIS but have experience in MapInfo, I am likely to get access to the county GIS programme if I can justify it, this would justify it. GPS use would be beneficial, but I can pinpoint almost every single point in the park on a map no problem so paying extra for GPS may be uneconomic really.

It would be for our use primarily but would need to be a format that would stand up in court.

It wouldn't have to be compatible with AutoCAD.

Thank you!

Ok, if it is for one estate then perhaps a arboretum management system might be good. I came across this today actually mentioned on the UKTC forum: IrisBG : Botanical Garden Collection Management I don't know alot about that one though.

For data collection under £1000 Digiterra (Welcome) is pretty good - and actually it will probably work on a smartphone that has Windows on it. I use it alot - it's good and customisable but as a novice on this stuff it took me ages to figure out how to use it!

Lastly, Korec have recently released a programme called 'Municipal Reporter' (KOREC Group | Trimble Municipal Reporter System)

I had a demo of it a few months ago and thought it looked pretty good - fully customisable and with a user-friendly interface. You may well have to buy a PDA to run it on though. From memory I think the software was around £500. A Trimble Juno (which has 2-5m GPS) comes in around £700 new I think but you may get an ex-demo one for cheaper.

Hope that helps a bit.

Ok, if it is for one estate then perhaps a arboretum management system might be good. I came across this today actually mentioned on the UKTC forum: IrisBG : Botanical Garden Collection Management I don't know alot about that one though.

For data collection under £1000 Digiterra (Welcome) is pretty good - and actually it will probably work on a smartphone that has Windows on it. I use it alot - it's good and customisable but as a novice on this stuff it took me ages to figure out how to use it!

Lastly, Korec have recently released a programme called 'Municipal Reporter' (KOREC Group | Trimble Municipal Reporter System)

I had a demo of it a few months ago and thought it looked pretty good - fully customisable and with a user-friendly interface. You may well have to buy a PDA to run it on though. From memory I think the software was around £500. A Trimble Juno (which has 2-5m GPS) comes in around £700 new I think but you may get an ex-demo one for cheaper.

Hope that helps a bit.

This Korec one, does it allow you to print off maps of the survey?

thanks for the posts im always looking for this stuff, but not much recently as the Pear stuff is a long term saving thing

Korec IMO are the biggest bunch of charlatans out there, they made some software for us and supplied a handset on a long term hire. It just did not do what it was supposed to do, then to top it all off they charged us for collection and delivery even though we picked the unit up!

To balance this out though we did contest the invoice which was later issued a credit note.

As Paul said Digiterra is the way to go.

Korec IMO are the biggest bunch of charlatans out there, they made some software for us and supplied a handset on a long term hire. It just did not do what it was supposed to do, then to top it all off they charged us for collection and delivery even though we picked the unit up!

To balance this out though we did contest the invoice which was later issued a credit note.

As Paul said Digiterra is the way to go.

Oh dear! I have to admit I have heard multiple stories about shoddy customer service from Korec which is a great shame as their products look pretty good.