chloritic leaves on cherry and fieldmaple

Ben Ballard

Hi all i have a clump of wild cherry and fieldmaple hazel and holly and sorbus planted 20 year ago ,in recent years the fieldmaple and hazel have not looked great and now the cherrys and hazels are looking chloritic aswell and this year alot of them have suffered and got a lot of die back with some leaves that have shrivelled ,i was thincking poor ground as it very shallow soil on to chalk and this years drought has made this worse,i havent found eviidence of bleeding canker on the stems so rulled that out for now. have knotised a lot of shot hole on the leves and some whitefly but dont think that the cause IMG_0413.jpg.b55d28e4497954c081da88e081a3a910.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg.ff9ae6a8632a19c250c7bc565ea1078d.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg.ca546dfe6ecbcb7f75fba7e28fae9f6b.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg.314287e9224cb63405390c7bb783ee70.jpg. iam interested to what other people think any help would be great thancks:001_smile:

[ATTACH]72975[/ATTACH] the plan for the clump this winter is to thin the worst of the cherry, coppice the hazel and pollard the field maples and hopefully the holly can retain there conical shapes then and the sorbus and other standards that are doing fine can fill out:001_smile:

It seems to have been particularly bad this year. I think magnesium is easily leached by heavy rain in the growing season, so it's less to do with the earlier drought, more to do with the subsequent rain. I've got the same problem with most of my young fruit trees (when the deer don't get them) and stuck some Epsom salts down a week or so back. I'm watching for the recovery.

Alec

...readily available Magnesium and Sulphur.

lack of nutrients in the soil is causing yellowing of the leaves. Not only does Epsom Salt provide good nutrition, but it also improves plants utilisation of N(nitrogen) P (phosphorous) and K (potassium).

easily leeched tho.