Blocking down on SRT

Steve Bullman

Just curious. i'm considering trying the rope wrench out as it does look and interesting alternative to Ddrt. Im just going through various scenarios in my head, and it seems that a lot of the time it would be simpler to just stick to Ddrt unless you could get just the right TIP from the ground with a throwline prior to climbing.

One thing im wondering though....assuming you have just finished breaking down the crown off an srt rig, how methods do you use to set your srt while blocking down?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor Hamel shows a few options here [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYHGg79dF3U]multiSLING 2 with ringLOOP - YouTube[/ame]

I climb on a DRT system but for blocking down I've started choking my main cimbing line back on itself through a bowline (essentially creating an srt system). If you dont like the idea of rope on rope you could add a ring in (ideally not a karabiner as it's be loaded badly against the stem). On my DRT system i'm backing up my hitch with a munter hitch through a karabiner attached to my leg loop but I'd assume you'd be ok with just your SRT setp. As taylor mentions if you leave the tail on the bowline long enough you can decend safely on the false anchor you've created then strop in and pull on the tail bringing the whole thing into reach.

Matt

Edited by Matthew Burton
added detail