Beech of Doom

Amelanchier

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi edenarb, there was discolouration of the false heartwood in some of the limbs. Its hard to see on the photos but its there.

Thanks for the education - as normal.

Will the degree of discolouration of the false hartwood on the limbs be related to the speed of decay on the main stem, ie do you think the heartwood on this one has gone relatively fast?

:stupido2:

Will the degree of discolouration of the false heartwood on the limbs be related to the speed of decay on the main stem, ie do you think the heartwood on this one has gone relatively fast?

Good question. I'm not sure. The decay in the stem had moved up toward the top from the branch pullout, I think it had been decaying for a while, the photo showing the wall thickness gives a clue...

The beetles (or something else) had picked the decay clean at that point. Moving up the stem they were just settling in. I'd love to know example timescale for that kind of interaction.

Oh I noticed that they didn't move down the decay column, maybe it got too wet when it rained?

As for the rate of discolouration moving into limbs, I think is down to the branch protection zone, which I assume works both ways.

Funny old game, eh?

Its nice to have somewhere to waffle on about your day! ;D

Its nice to have somewhere to waffle on about your day! ;D

Wish someone would tell the wife that, beats the sh1t out of watching eastenders :clap:

Better be carefull what I say, shes checking my posts now after finding my first arb dogs post! :post:

Wish someone would tell the wife that, beats the sh1t out of watching eastenders :clap:

Better be carefull what I say, shes checking my posts now after finding my first arb dogs post! :post:

oh dear my man!!!! bet she had you by the balls!!!

i just waffe to the missus and her mum regardless, i here about there crappy days in a shop or behind a bar!!!! i mean how many times can you get told they pulled a good pint, at least my day is ful of trigger pulling and lifting logs:002: lol