MS280 ignition coil just died after 9 yrs?

blazer

I have had the MS290 for say 9 yrs worked well but plays up a bit at times, that I put down to carb problems. I used it this morning cutting fire wood, played up wetting plugs to get going then ok for a hour. After I finished cleaned out the carb - normally does the trick, fired then cut out, wouldn't go again. Checked out the plug against the casing - no spark, removed coil assy cleaned up and replaced, still dead. Checked out plugs by swopping with a MS170 against the casing all ok.

Checked out with a test meter on ohms HT side ok, only had a pulse on the LT side whereas doing the same on the MS170 coil gives a constant reading, I assume there are some active components inside the MS 280 coil system that have failed.

It would be interesting to know if others have had a simular ignition failure:confused1:

I have ordered a new coil unit from Mister solutions but really wanted the MS 280 as a spare saw for my son doing his CS30/31 this week.

Coils usually have one of two faults, the actual coil gives out and goes open circuit or the trigger electronics fail - these used to be in a separate unit but are now integrated in to the coil - I have had a number measure earth to kill switch 3 ohms and earth to HT lead 6,000 ohms but still not spark so it is the trigger unit.

Annoying and another £25 down:thumbdown:

And before anyone says it - I know the HT lead can breakdown as well:001_rolleyes:

Are we talking about an MS290 or MS280? The 0000 400 1300 coil for the MS290 is used for a lot of the Stihl saws if you have any spare parts saws lying around. The 1133 400 1350 (non-IEM) coil used on the MS280 is specific to the MS280/MS270 saws.

Ignition failures on modern units are relatively rare.

If you have checked that the kill wire isn't grounding anywhere, the HT lead is in good order, the module and flywheel are free of gunk and the air gap between module and flyheel is within spec then there isn't really anything else you can do apart from get a new module.

Thanks guys, yep it hadn't been removed before so was a bit gunked, but cleaning it and re-assy did nothing, kill wire removed connector = no spark.

I checked it again with a DVM and it has a diode effect on the LT side, so one way open CCT and the otherway a pulse, so with the HT side much the same as the MS 170 for resistance ( the LT side is the same both ways on the MS170).

Yep I ordered a 1133 400 1350 from mister solutions @ 42.

I has always played up a bit and this morning it ran at 1/2 revs & cut then worked fine for an hour and after doing some work on the saw again it ran then cut out for good. I have always accepted these units are bomb proof but it I once had a Bultaco trail bike with simular ignition that would cut out every so often, little brother borrowed it and had to push it 3 mile home:lol: did alot for brotherly love:sneaky2:

Thanks again to both Spud & Megatron :thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...
I thought stihl ignition coils had a lifetime guarantee ??

I believe the lifetime warranty was for machines sold from 1986 to 2003 for electronic ignition modules. For machines sold after 1st March 2003 it is 2 years parts and labour, 5 years parts. Obviously you would have to be the original owner and have the necessary paperwork.

http://www.stihlusa.com/STIHLInc_LimitedWarranty_10.09.pdf

I believe the lifetime warranty was for machines sold from 1986 to 2003 for electronic ignition modules. For machines sold after 1st March 2003 it is 2 years parts and labour, 5 years parts. Obviously you would have to be the original owner and have the necessary paperwork.

http://www.stihlusa.com/STIHLInc_LimitedWarranty_10.09.pdf

Yep I'm the original owner will look for paper bought it in 1999'ish and it must be an electronic unit as it has encapsulated 'active' components inside.:thumbup: