Id on a fungi on scots pine

Danavan

I found this in among some dead ivy aprox 4.5m on a scots pine last week.

Any ideas? Old dry & not great pic's too..

Asked the client to look out for more fruiting bods around the same area now the dead ivy has been removed.

Not sure if it was attached to the trunk or a dead stub above the area I found it.

Thanks for any help as I have not built up a good bunch of fungi ref books as yet.

21072011433.jpg.78362836679b207ef5a3defcf633d4b9.jpg

21072011430.jpg.bdeb85b4fa163e50fa356bf269e6865a.jpg

21072011432.jpg.5b4235a44e8baf51298e2677be81551c.jpg

Edited by Danavan

crikey, thats a big ask off these images, difficult without the clues of a context shot danavan.

Thought so, I will try & get back to the place one day soon. The tree is co-dom with aprox 40% removed from the stem with fungi upon it. decay is present up the stem with woodpecker activity present but not appearing to be structurally significant at present.

Sorry will have to cut short as I have just punched out a window at some one & cut my hand up a tad:blushing:

Thought so, I will try & get back to the place one day soon. The tree is co-dom with aprox 40% removed from the stem with fungi upon it. decay is present up the stem with woodpecker activity present but not appearing to be structurally significant at present.

Sorry will have to cut short as I have just punched out a window at some one & cut my hand up a tad:blushing:

Still managed to finish the post; a true arbtalker!

I found this in among some dead ivy aprox 4.5m on a scots pine last week. Old dry & not great pic's too.. Not sure if it was attached to the trunk or a dead stub above the area I found it.

Danavan,

Although old and dry, because of the rather well conserved FB's including the wide thick gills, I think it could be a Lentinus, such as L. adhaerens or L. lepideus.

Chalciporus piperatus?

Definitely not, wrong colour and type of pores/tubes and stem. Judging by the characteristics visible in the photo, it probably is Xerocomus chrysenteron s.l. By the way, did you take a bite and taste it ? In Dutch C. piperatus is called Pepper bolete.

Definitely not, wrong colour and type of pores/tubes and stem. Judging by the characteristics visible in the photo, it probably is Xerocomus chrysenteron s.l. By the way, did you take a bite and taste it ? In Dutch C. piperatus is called Pepper bolete.

No bite, would have liked to but my fungi id is much to be learned. I Hoped it would have been as I like pepper. The fungi contained numerous maggots so put me off slightly:blushing: :001_smile:

:001_smile:

Danavan,

Although old and dry, because of the rather well conserved FB's including the wide thick gills, I think it could be a Lentinus, such as L. adhaerens or L. lepideus.

Are these common as a fungi living at a reasonable height on a conifer tree?

As with my unfinished sentence to Tony I was am not sure if this was attached to an area on a heavily topped co-dom stem that after a sounding test with a silky saw sounding as if their may be a dead wood pocket at a point of recess around the area it was found. Or that it may have been attached to a dead branch stump.

Are they dead wood sapp's?

Cheers for your info