Using a saw from the Mewp

Leyburn Lad

If it is only you in the bucket what does it matter about starting it in the bucket? And as for holding out of the bucket well the chances of dropping it would be greater than hurting yourself while starting it inside i think anyway.

Not if the saw is secured to the MEWP bucket with a lanyard. Which it should be should be at all times for the very reason that if it should slip from your grasp under any circumstances, then it cannot dash itself to pieces or your workmates on the ground.

From my experience I have always started the saw outside the bucket, having pre started and warmed up the saw whilst still on the ground before accessing the mewp.

Personally, I think that the MEWP bucket is such a confined space, wether working alone or with an operator or colleague, that it safer to start the saw outside to reduce the risk of harm or damage to any of the occupants or equipment. But thats just my humble opinion. :001_smile:

hi as long as the saw is in safe area and cb applied either will suffice however outside the bucket is best depending on size of saw/bar

not going to even get into the yo/yo start topic exept to say dont do it.

there is some very good guidance in G.U.M.A an arb association publication

terry cs47 assessor

Cheers Terry.

If it is only you in the bucket what does it matter about starting it in the bucket? And as for holding out of the bucket well the chances of dropping it would be greater than hurting yourself while starting it inside i think anyway.

the saw tied on mate

Not if the saw is secured to the MEWP bucket with a lanyard. Which it should be should be at all times for the very reason that if it should slip from your grasp under any circumstances, then it cannot dash itself to pieces or your workmates on the ground.

From my experience I have always started the saw outside the bucket, having pre started and warmed up the saw whilst still on the ground before accessing the mewp.

Personally, I think that the MEWP bucket is such a confined space, wether working alone or with an operator or colleague, that it safer to start the saw outside to reduce the risk of harm or damage to any of the occupants or equipment. But thats just my humble opinion. :001_smile:

exactly what i was trying to say

Try starting a 66 outside the bucket

I start my saws with the bar outside the bucket between the horizontal rails, power unit inside the bucket, that way you can still put the rear handle between your knees

or an 88

terry

Edited by apexarb
adding picture

Sweet shot terry.

going by the harness, helmet and saw styling circa 1997 i would guess??? and i would also guess you took the pic .......

to the topic ingenneral as for starting the saw as terry has said there is some good guidance in the mewps in arb

A Guide to the Use of MEWPs in Arboriculture

some one said way back on page one a fall arrest harness, best practice says a 'full body harness' with lanyard of up to 2 m NO fall arrest device.

us arbs tend to wear sit harnesses but this is really only acceptable if we are using the mewp to get in the tree or you have 250mm slack or less, that where a harness like the sequa comes in to its own climb in a sit but add on the top for the mewp.

when it comes to starting the saw there is general guidance and that would favour out side the basket pre warmed. but as has been said already for every rule there is an exception, and the 66 and 88 are good examples of that