tree v footpath

Taupotreeman

Just some advice needed here guys please. Around my neighbourhood we had a heap of red Oaks, Scarlet Ash, Pin Oak etc planted on the council berms about 40 years ago. The berms themselves are only about 1-2m wide, the oaks are getting on for 0.75 to 1m diameter. In most places the trees are now butt up to the footpath and the roots are lifting the footpaths in many places. Fortunately the trees are not to be removed but past action has been to rip up the fottpath, rip up the roots and then lay down new concrete. Even I know this isn't good for the trees but then Council has an obligation to keep the footpaths safe for pedestrians because apparently, in this day and age, people can't use either their eyes or common sense. My question is; how do we solve the issue of lifting footpaths without detrement to the tree? Is it actually possible to root prune this close to the stem? Personally I wouldn't have thought so but I'm looking for the input of those with more experience in these matters. No pictures yet but if you need some examples I can get the easily.

Not a bad idea. We had a similar issue with a large Totara recently that I refuced to allow root pruning on as it was well within the drip line of the tree. The suggestions were that either we put in a floating walkway or we reroute the footpath. The only issue I can see with block paving is the cost and whether Council would be willing to splash out on doing this on the hundreds of trees around the district. In most places the root lift is significant so would block paving be OK for this kind of lifting?

David, the footpath is solid concrete. I'll get some photos when I remember.

Hama, cheers for the idea. I'm not to crash hot on the root thing I'm afraid. It's definately something I can put forward though and not having to replace the concrete every few years should win some browny points cost wise. Just wonder if we get any little gits knicking them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the block paving idea was turned down. Apparently it's going to be concrete because that's the cheap option and what we have done forever. The tree will now have had half of the roots cut. Half to the prevailing wind side of the tree were done when the footpath last lifted and now another chunk will be cut, no, hacked, for the replacement of the driveway. Apparently they need to be 100mm deep for the base and concrete so the roots get hacked out with spade and axe. Interested in your comments and please don't shoot the messenger.

59765d8406537_2011-08-02002001.jpg.28596d1445cd5136a5181c9ecd964cdb.jpg

59765d840228a_2011-08-02001005.jpg.63df53570b0e26f65278e53e2dcfa100.jpg

59765d83ebd3d_2011-08-02001004.jpg.caaa580b57538a82509cb8848723b4c6.jpg

59765d83e1571_2011-08-02001003.jpg.dc0d26d46968cf12628db75eb4d93c5f.jpg

59765d83dbfd3_2011-08-02001001.jpg.9093731e8dede302cba6c51bda33b7cc.jpg

You get one guess Adam. Around half of the roots have or will have been ripped out. The tree will have little anchor on the side of the prevailing wind. It's a reasonable size Oak but still has plenty of growing left to do so I'm not sure how happy I'd be doing nothing. Unfortunately this is one of many around the township. Urban planning was minimal in those days.