Stihl 088 sell or fix?

Pete Hart

I often hear Stihl disc cutters running at full power running as rough as hell and I'm sure its because they only open the HI air screw to the initial setting and not tune it.

One of the main reasons for cut off saws sounding rough is that they are rev limited. When not under (sufficient) load at WOT they "bounce" off the rev limiter so to speak.

I was told that the saw would fire with the carb removed (igniting what little ammount of fuel was in the cylinder), but as soon as the carb went back on it was flooding the engine.

QUOTE]

The carb constantly flooding the engine is a classic sign of a leaking needle valve, either cleaning it or fitting a carb kit should help. A very simple test is to put a tube on the fuel inlet and suck hard and stick your tongue over the hole, if the needle valve is ok, the tube will retain its vacuum against your tongue - if the tube falls away from your tongue, the needle is leaking.

Call ot a carb blow job:thumbup: you should use a gauge but this method is a quick check.

If I am right, a £10 carb kit is all that is needed - if you are stuck, send it over, I will refurb but don't have an 088 to test but hopefully it will go back on and work - the flooding is classic needle valve problems!

Totally agree with 'Spud' but from reading his post reminded me of one detail, how are you transporting your 088? one of the problems of transporting Quads/ bikes is as they are bouncing along on a trailer the carb float/needle valve is also going up & down, flooding the engine thats why when transporting Quads you always turn off the fuel (or don't leave it on 'prime' on a Suzuki).

If your saw is well flooded, take the plug out and remove air filter and leave the throttle open for the fuel to dry out, turn over a few times - any oil in the fuel will cause it to smoke like hell when fired up after a few hours.:thumbup1: