MS460 Air Cleaner

TimberCutterDartmoor

Bought a new MS460 last year and it came with the green air cleaner with fine steel mesh; subsequently put a thread up on here about the filter seeming to leak fine dust and lots of responses saying it was normal etc etc.

Just bought another 460 (almost went for 576xp but couldn't resist old glory of 460!) and it has the HD filter as standard.

What a difference! Inside the filter is now spotless!

So is the HD filter now standard ???

Nice one anyway. :thumbup1:

The HD2 filter (0000 140 4402) is now standard on MS440,MS441,MS460,MS650,MS660,MS780 and MS880 saws. The green wire mesh filter should only be used in extreme wintry conditions e.g. powdered snow, frost formation etc.

The HD2 filter is also the suggested replacement for the older non-standard HD filter (0000 120 1654), which I would imagine will only remain available while factory stocks last.

Megatron - what's the Stihl product support time limit for say the 260/460 range of saws? also are the older range of saws still supported?

My day job is medical engineering and we have product notices from manufactures on end of support for products and from that date that's it, no spares (must all get binned).

Megatron - what's the Stihl product support time limit for say the 260/460 range of saws? also are the older range of saws still supported?

My day job is medical engineering and we have product notices from manufactures on end of support for products and from that date that's it, no spares (must all get binned).

Stihl's policy for spare parts is to provide them for at least 10 years after the machine finished production. However, most models due to various reasons exceed this.

You can still get a lot/virtually all parts for some of the older saws, for example 051/075/076 and 070/090. The 051/075/076 parts availability can be in part attributed to the TS510/TS760 cut off saws sharing a large number of the same parts and their last date of manufacture was more recent than the 051/075/076 saws. It is also important to note that some of these older models are still manufactured for the South American/African/Asian market. So these parts are still made, it is just up to Stihl to decide who has access to them.

It is also worth noting that all parts do not abide by Stihl's policy. For example the 044 tank with screw caps was made no longer available in 2001 (as soon as the model stopped production). However, Stihl offer the MS440 tank with flippy caps which can be used instead. Again on the subject of 070/090 saws not all of their parts are available even though the 070 model was still produced (but not for UK market) until very recently and it's successor the MS720, which uses a lot of the same parts. So this technically violates Stihl's policy.

It would be more appropriate for Stihl to say; "We aim to supply replacement parts for a particular model for at least 10 years after the model ceased to be supplied to a specific country".

As for the support from actual Stihl Dealers I would imagine it would be at their discretion. For example if you walk in to the dealership wanting to find the part for a 30 year old saw they will more than likely recommend you buy a newer model, regardless if the still is available or not. It just makes economic sense for them. They may also tell you they can't service an older model because they don't have the right tools, again trying to get you to buy a newer saw.

One last thing, the parts for a specific model do not all become no longer available all at once. It is a gradual process. 084 parts are currently being made NLA.

BTW, I'm not a Stihl Dealer :001_smile:

Many thanks Megatron for your information. I didn't have you down as a dealer, more a technical engineer from your writing, knowledge and user name.

years ago with medical equipment many products were supported for longer after end of production, 7 yrs typical. To keep user loyality to a product and so many hospitals were loyal to one manufacturer. Now most have a shorter product cut off date with lists going out to give 1 years notice as a fixed cut off date.

Non genuine spares against imported spares is difficult, eg I brought some Husky spares for an old saw and they were marked 'made in Brasil', at first I thought non genuine but realized they were possibly genuine husky made in Brazil (as we spell it).

The problem I have is understanding the difference between what the filters look like and what one is better than the other. I have a 441 2010 model how would a know if it's the better filter fitted as i don't know what the lesser filters look like.

The problem I have is understanding the difference between what the filters look like and what one is better than the other. I have a 441 2010 model how would a know if it's the better filter fitted as i don't know what the lesser filters look like.

Your saw should have been factory fitted with the (older) HD filter.

Differences between them;

-Wire mesh filter (for use in extreme wintry conditions); has a green backing

-HD filter has black backing and says "Stihl HD system" on it. Uses a prefilter.

-HD2 filter has chrome backing, also says "Stihl HD system" on it but also says "HD2". No prefilter.

They are all interchangeable.

• 2 months later...