Ragwort control mixes...

farmer_ben

isnt grazon just a compitox & agirtox type mix?? both a lot cheaper than grazon. i have used it once with good effect, but the customer had to buy it as I wasnt convinced extra cost was worth while!

Not real sure of an alternative mix Ben, depends how much coin is available and how keen the client is get get shot of it for good. You need to remember it is oficially a Bi-annual so will tend to regenerate easily.

Also another thought, what will you do with the "topped" arisings? Its obviously not a great idea to take away for foodstuff but also consider much of the ragwort is now well on in flower and some will have set seed, so cutting and leaving could leave hassle for next year.

It is obviously acceptable to collect it and burn if you wish. Yet again finance depending i suppose.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Dean, just seen the price of that stuff, guess none of it comes cheap!:001_huh:[/QUOT

Been over there tonight and i'm gonna top, wait for regrowth and hit hard with 2 4d and mcpa. The meadow is going into ELS from August 1st, so I want to try hard over next 2 weeks to get on top of it.

I see, so am I right in thinking this is a scheme that encourages the farmer to get the field "into shape" before the deadline of 1st of August, and that can involve spraying, topping, and general destruction of wildlife habitat so the farmer can claim the area payment?

But on the other hand, you are not allowed to cut hedges before that date so hedgerow habitat is not affected:001_rolleyes:

I must add, Im not having a go at you Ben, I sometimes find those who determine the deadlines have no real contact with the industry they are legislating!:thumbdown:

I see, so am I right in thinking this is a scheme that encourages the farmer to get the field "into shape" before the deadline of 1st of August, and that can involve spraying, topping, and general destruction of wildlife habitat so the farmer can claim the area payment?

But on the other hand, you are not allowed to cut hedges before that date so hedgerow habitat is not affected:001_rolleyes:

I must add, Im not having a go at you Ben, I sometimes find those who determine the deadlines have no real contact with the industry they are legislating!:thumbdown:

no, 1st of august isnt a deadline at all, just when my agreement starts. just one i am setting myself really, the ragwort needs sorting out by law anyway, regardless of schemes or deadlines. to be honest, the area will benefit greatly from topping. the brambles have got out of control in places and i may well reseed with wild seed mix of some sort in the autumn.

els isnt part of the area payment. its a voluntry scheme that a farmer can chose to enter, if he does he agrees to a set of legally binding guidelines. The scheme is designed to enhance farm habitats and wildlife, whilst the farmer gets a small financial return for the work involved. If he doesnt follow the rules of the agreement he can be fined a percentage of his single farm payment. The ELS is an interesting scheme and is individual to each farm. as there are hundreds of options available to the farmer. Give it a read sometime

Sounds interesting Ben, Cheers for explaining it.

I was getting the scheme confused with a rype of set asside there was years back, where there was an area payment and the land had to be dessicated before a set date. This was during nesting season but turns out it was set during summer so that the areas could be checked via satelite as the field colours should be a different to those growing crops!

Cheers for the info Ben.

oh right i see, majority of set a side legislation was before my time so I dont know an awful lot about it to be honest. the farmer i work with has just entered the HLS (higher level scheme) that takes the ELS to a whole new level. very interesting scheme indeed and i will be spending alot of time this autumn drilling new field margins and corners with my new drill :)