Question on employment / self employment wages

farmer_ben

As a rough guide NI is around 9% of the hourly rate and holiday pay based on 25days holiday a year is another 10.5%.

So as a guide your £440 wage would attract the following approx costs:

Holiday pay £46.20 /50 hours = 92p per hour

£39.60 NI /50hours = 79p per hour

I ran a recruitment consultancy until a year ago so had to deal with temps hourly rates every day, however the NI % calculation is based on the isle of man which i think is the same. Our holiday pay is 20days which is 8.33% so i have worked out 25days which i think you guys have.

Hope this helps.

As a rough guide NI is around 9% of the hourly rate and holiday pay based on 25days holiday a year is another 10.5%.

So as a guide your £440 wage would attract the following approx costs:

Holiday pay £46.20 /50 hours = 92p per hour

£39.60 NI /50hours = 79p per hour

I ran a recruitment consultancy until a year ago so had to deal with temps hourly rates every day, however the NI % calculation is based on the isle of man which i think is the same. Our holiday pay is 20days which is 8.33% so i have worked out 25days which i think you guys have.

Hope this helps.

thank you very much, thats very helpful and interesting. so with them figures, a worker on them example wages i stated is costing the farmer £10.58 an hr? then various insurances, tools, ppe etc etc etc to go on top of that figure?

thank you very much, thats very helpful and interesting. so with them figures, a worker on them example wages i stated is costing the farmer £10.58 an hr? then various insurances, tools, ppe etc etc etc to go on top of that figure?

If you are on paye £8 per hour YOU pay NI and your boss does at a similar rate on your wages- this is often not widely known

Holiday costs your boss only and is minimum 18 days a year though most bosses also pay 8 or 9 bank holidays on top of this

So £8 per hour will give take home/bottom line of around £6 depending on tax status.

Your £8 costs your boss probably double if he is doing things by the book

Accounts/banking/book keeper/ training/ getting work in=overseeing/paperwork/ vehicles/ bad weather days/ insurances/ soon to be pension provision/holidays/ maybe advertising/ the list is longer. This is why if you are self employed you can charge much more- basically you are on your own and can be called in ad hoc. It's a great benefit to businesses to have contractors that can be used as necessary and allows firms to keep their customers happy.

In the right ball-park then :thumbup1:

well the im not getting the tractor out of the shed for less and the established contractor round here is £25.50hr so im happy at that for now. but that is a minimum of a day hr day and close by.

Garden hedges and pony paddocks i'll price accordingly but will be prepared to travel if price is right,