Makita v Dolmar

harvey b davison

I've sourced parts from here in the past, good service and very helpful.

Miles Tool & Machinery Centre

Thats where i get my parts - far quicker at getting bits sent to me as my local Makita supplier is to just get them in!! (how the hell does that work) They are also better priced. Very good service and can get almost anything (rubber AV mounts being the only issue).

Im with TCD here - Makitas are good but Dolmars are immense!! But i still love my 'inferior' Makita 6800i.....

I've been using a mak ea4300 for the past 12 mths, and for what i use it for it has served me really well and will use it to do my cs31 when i get round to doing it. The colour blue has never bothered me as my joinery tools are blue as well and i am not a pro user of the saw, and to be honest i couldnt care less what colour a saw is as long as it does the job. However, if i ever get the chance to buy a bigger saw, then it most probably will be a dolmar, due to what i have read and learnt about the saws on here. ( mainly from tcd as well ).

Thats where i get my parts - far quicker at getting bits sent to me as my local Makita supplier is to just get them in!! (how the hell does that work) They are also better priced. Very good service and can get almost anything (rubber AV mounts being the only issue).

Im with TCD here - Makitas are good but Dolmars are immense!! But i still love my 'inferior' Makita 6800i.....

iam with you two as well '' dolmars are immense '' i would love to try a 7900 or a 7901 if these two saws are anything like the 5105 then look out trees

i started in the woods many moons ago with a sachs dolmar 117 15'' 3/8

on first thinnings jap larch this saw was quite heavy for this and i bought a new dolmar 115i which was an excellent saw it never let me down at all i absouteley loved that saw the only thing was the av rubbers werent strong but they were so easy to change so no probs

the dealer i bought it from it from he said i was better off buying this dolmar as some of the 254's that had been sold recently were playing up lots of niggly things when i went back to work with my new toy they laughed at me but after a few weeks they changed there tune but nobody bought one

anyway this local dealer retired about ten years ago i saw him this week and i showed him my 5105 he was so impressed he actually thought dolmar had gone to the wall and makita had picked the peices

and he said if he was younger and in better health he would go to germany and get a lorry load of dolmars and parts and turn the area

'' sebring red again'' :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup1:

sorry to go on but they are decent strong exciting saws

iam with you two as well '' dolmars are immense '' i would love to try a 7900 or a 7901 if these two saws are anything like the 5105 then look out trees

on first thinnings jap larch this saw was quite heavy for this and i bought a new dolmar 115i which was an excellent saw it never let me down at all i absouteley loved that saw the only thing was the av rubbers werent strong but they were so easy to change so no probs

the dealer i bought it from it from he said i was better off buying this dolmar as some of the 254's that had been sold recently were playing up lots of niggly things when i went back to work with my new toy they laughed at me but after a few weeks they changed there tune but nobody bought one

anyway this local dealer retired about ten years ago i saw him this week and i showed him my 5105 he was so impressed he actually thought dolmar had gone to the wall and makita had picked the peices

and he said if he was younger and in better health he would go to germany and get a lorry load of dolmars and parts and turn the area

:thumbup:

My middle saw is a pretty old (early 90's) 115i i picked up cheap(ish) which just needed a going over and one or two parts. Was headed for scrap but piston and cylinder are like new so i thought it had to be saved.

The rubber AV mounts are easily the worst bit of those saws, but as you say very easy to change. They dont last long and seem to be getting harder to source. The mounts on my 6800i are just as bad, will be very sad when i can no longer get new ones.

The 5105 is by far the nicest looking saw around IMO, it and the 7901 are both on my "i want one" list :001_cool:

My middle saw is a pretty old (early 90's) 115i i picked up cheap(ish) which just needed a going over and one or two parts. Was headed for scrap but piston and cylinder are like new so i thought it had to be saved.

The rubber AV mounts are easily the worst bit of those saws, but as you say very easy to change. They dont last long and seem to be getting harder to source. The mounts on my 6800i are just as bad, will be very sad when i can no longer get new ones.

The 5105 is by far the nicest looking saw around IMO, it and the 7901 are both on my "i want one" list :001_cool:

I'm ordering up a load of 5105s soon if you want one. :thumbup:

£400 ish inc.

that is a fantastic saw for that money :thumbup1:

if you compare it to the husky 550 xp the dolmar is a match in cc power and weight but without the auto tune complications that may occur, and also the price difference is worth considering :thumbup:

TCD do you know if the 7901 is as good as the 7900 because i would defiantely be interested in one if you would be importing any:001_smile::001_smile: