Large oak tree down in my wood.

Swiss CHris

Evening all.

Once again, this site is the greatest!

I have a large oak tree down in my wood, it has been down a while (ever since I owned the wood which is now 9 years) and am looking to get it out. It must weigh two tons but is difficult to get out of the wood. the hedge would need removing or preferably a telehandler can get to it. It is very solid, needs to be kept in a barn for a couple of years and then would be wonderful for furniture etc. do not realy want to log it.

Access is good, leads to FC land but is my road so you can take as long as you want when getting it out.

Anyone interested. Woodland is in mid devon.

PM me if interested.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Wrong end of the country for me, but it might help people if you could measure the clear length and the diameter at base and top of clear length. Have you rolled it lately? Unless it's been kept slightly clear of the ground I would expect a bit of decay to have started on the lower face, not necessarily significant but would need checking for any cavities running up from old branches.

Alec

• 3 weeks later...

Ok folks, my first attempt at pictures of the oak.

Three pictures attached. My apologies for the poor quality, the digital camera was lost, only to have been found under car seat today.

The tree is solid, your views are sought about the tree but also another point that has arisen, put into Forestry and Woodland management forum. If the pictures are not worthy of comment, please PM me and I shall email to you.

Photo0073.jpg.687ab5cc6583f6ace5db25485414c07a.jpg

Photo0072.jpg.c98212ffb20ef668eee46739e4518f8c.jpg

Photo0071.jpg.9351cd6f05a4572ceced2cf1a6194baf.jpg