MS341 not oiling sufficiently

Matthew Arnold

I noticed today that after my saw (2009 MS341) ran out of fuel, the chain was smoking and the bar was steaming. The chain was a brand new semi-chisel. I checked the oil and had 2/3 a reservoir of oil left. I know is blocked but when i did my chainsaw ticket a couple of years ago the instructor said that you could use bbq lighter fluid or similar to flush the reservoir and pipe out. Is this true? One of my colleagues last year on the same saw flushed the tank out with deisel as it was clogged up. Do you think the deisel may have done some damage?

The diesel won't have done any damage it is just acting as a solvent. You can try flushing out with lighter fluid/white spirit etc and also spin the chain sprocket backwards (whilst feeding lighter fluid etc into the bar oil outlet hole).

However, it would actually be quicker (for me atleast) to do the following;

Check to see if the oil tank vent is blocked. If it isn't, take off the sprocket and check the worm spring is fully engaging in the sprocket. Take off clutch and remove worm and oil pump;

-check the worm and oil pump teeth are good

-check the sealing ring between the oil oulet and the crankcase and flush the oil outlet channel (which takes oil from pump to the bar).

-flush out the oil pump

-remove the oil hose and pickup, clean and inspect for cracks etc

-before reassembly flush out the tank

The diesel won't have done any damage it is just acting as a solvent. You can try flushing out with lighter fluid/white spirit etc and also spin the chain sprocket backwards (whilst feeding lighter fluid etc into the bar oil outlet hole).

However, it would actually be quicker (for me atleast) to do the following;

Check to see if the oil tank vent is blocked. If it isn't, take off the sprocket and check the worm spring is fully engaging in the sprocket. Take off clutch and remove worm and oil pump;

-check the worm and oil pump teeth are good

-check the sealing ring between the oil oulet and the crankcase and flush the oil outlet channel (which takes oil from pump to the bar).

-flush out the oil pump

-remove the oil hose and pickup, clean and inspect for cracks etc

-before reassembly flush out the tank

What he said:thumbup:

Great - nice to know that you have sorted the saw, many just rape you for info and dissapear in to the distance:sneaky2:

Good to get the feedback and hope the advice was of use.

It was of serious use. The big boss wanted to send it back to the dealer to get it sorted.:001_rolleyes: