Managing Trees with Decay & Dysfunction

This video contains content from WMG, Sony ATV Publishing and UMPG Publishing, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Sorry about that."

Stuck in the US of A, ain't got nothin to say, boy, stuck in the US of A...:thumbdown:

Sorry about that, finding which tracks don't infringe on copyright across different countries is random to say the least

I can't seem to view these on youtube, any one else had trouble?

Both play ok for me on PC and iPad

What are you trying to watch them on, the Samsung?

Had a look at this Cherry (P.kanzan) yesterday. I think this looks like the remains of Laetiporus on the stem?

Had a look through some books but thought i'd get some opinions on here too as to future prognosis. Canopy was heavily reduced about 3 years ago, tree otherwise looks to be in good health...roots are causing issues on the footway and a resident's driveway.

Weighing up different options but ultimately i'm not confident on the overall longevity of the tree with this type of fungal activity on the main stem? any thoughts??

I'd agree that it looks like the desiccated remains of Laetiporus

Any evidence of Armillaria at the base?

I often see this with street planted prunus, particularly ones that have been heavily reduced.

If it was on an open space I'd imagine you wouldn't of even brought this up, right?

Having been heavily reduced and still have good vascular health would appear to suggest the tree could be retained.

Is it particularly exposed?

Probably needs to be on a list for replacement, but a fair way down that list maybe?

How's the general condition of the street tree population where you are?

have tried the Samsung, laptop and on the tv, all the same, tries to play at the very beginning and then comes up with an error message saying try again later. If it's ok for everyone else it must be me??? could be my internet connection perhaps,will keep trying!

It must be just you, have you been tested recently ? :biggrin:

Just played both of them here.

It's the really old ash on the edge of the footy field by Lime avenue and the oak is on the corner out in the meadow opposite the stock pond and model boating pond.

Michal's had a good scramble over both of them to test his knee out, no problems, things are looking good :thumbup1:

The oak is this one from post 59

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/tree-health-care/52839-light-reductions-6.html

Nice looking work. If I knew more about tree condition, and the objective, etc., I might understand why all that green came off, losing some of the natural habit. But symmetery is a good thing, and i have no doubt it will regrow favorably. I especially like the b&a from 4 different views--top marks on the documentation! :thumbup:

I learned this from Herr Rinn, but the lesson is not yet ingrained as habit, and my work's all the poorer for that.

Laetiporus decay right through, the removal of that amount of branch timber and foliage was done to lessen the end weight of long heavy lateral limbs, which if left would at some point snap out and probably take large chunks of the canopy with them.

I'd agree that it looks like the desiccated remains of Laetiporus

Any evidence of Armillaria at the base?

I often see this with street planted prunus, particularly ones that have been heavily reduced.

If it was on an open space I'd imagine you wouldn't of even brought this up, right?

Having been heavily reduced and still have good vascular health would appear to suggest the tree could be retained.

Is it particularly exposed?

Probably needs to be on a list for replacement, but a fair way down that list maybe?

How's the general condition of the street tree population where you are?

Didn't notice anything at the base, and you're right, if in an open space i'd be happy to leave be. it's sitting on a busy road that has regular flow of traffic.

Main issue with this is that the surface roots are causing havoc with resident's driveway and the footway. Further reduction of the canopy isn't a preferred option, previous reduction was pretty heavy so isn't much more to take away! root pruning is another option but reckon it wouldn't help much in the long term, causing further stress when it already has fungal activity isn't gonna help matters.

When the reduction was done a root barrier had apparently been put in, the roots appear to have merrily headed off around it and are now even sprouting little cherry trees in the resident's front garden! maybe it knows it's long term days are numbered?

Decisions, decisions....

Tree population is a mix of affluent areas with their nice mature street trees and then there's the down at heel 'prunus cerasifera' streets that have seen better days. Have been keeping an eye out for massaria but not seen anything yet, we don't have a huge amount of planes though.

Residents generally seem like an affable bunch which helps. Not many cappuccino outlets but lots of very nice/cheap curry eateries to choose from:thumbup1:

A meet up for an Indian breakfast at some point then :thumbup:

If you get the chance I'd be interested if you could get hold of the failure list for last St Jude's storm for the borough

More so the species that went rather than exact numbers

LTOA have it down as 336 with only 6 privately owned trees out of that number.

Sounds like the cherries days are numbered.

A meet up for an Indian breakfast at some point then :thumbup:

If you get the chance I'd be interested if you could get hold of the failure list for last St Jude's storm for the borough

More so the species that went rather than exact numbers

LTOA have it down as 336 with only 6 privately owned trees out of that number.

Sounds like the cherries days are numbered.

am sure they'll have kept a record somewhere, will investigate!

cheers for input on't cherry :thumbup1:

Laetiporus decay right through, the removal of that amount of branch timber and foliage was done to lessen the end weight of long heavy lateral limbs, which if left would at some point snap out and probably take large chunks of the canopy with them.

Thanks David; I wonder if there is a way to calculate the quantity needed to adequately reduce the load.

On the cherry I agree re vascular activity and retention; the woundwood is as or more important to consider than the fungus imo.