Kuksa from greenCherry wood.

Baggy

Thanks for the advice Baggy. I will try and look up that guy and purchase some good quality knives and give the kuksa another go.

Cheers again and here's hoping i'm more successful this time, Ha

Just a thought I found that I tended to get cuts when nearing the end of a carving as I was speeding up, keen to see the finished item. Also take breaks tired hands = cut hands.

Mark

Hi

Very impressive, Baggy. What sort of oil do you use and how do you apply it? .

If a carving is for me I use walnut oil as it really works with the wood, I also use sunflower oil. I heat the oil and then immerse the carving in it until the oil cools

Someone of my acquaintance immersed his totally in molten beeswax and found he'd overdone it slightly.

Ouch :biggrin:

Hi

I'm still not clear as to whether you finish them green, oil them and allow that to slow the seasoning or whether there's steps in between..bagging between sessions, part carve and leave etc..?

Sorry,

When I start carving it is with very green wood, I get the carving to as near finished shape as I can, as soon as I can, to stop splitting.

A Kuksa I will rough out including the bowl within a day. I then pop it in a carrier bag full of the chipings and leave it in my shed for a few days.

Next I start the finishing, which takes me ages, in short sessions over up to a week. I then oil it and when dry I keep it on my desk. A week or two later I sand it with a 400grit paper and re oil.

This has worked for me so far :001_smile:

Have I missed anything?