Qualifications to set me apart from the rest of the college graduates?

YoGi_93

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the best thing to do really is to physically go to the lads at the company? Show them how enthusiastic I am make a good impression tell them about what im doing at college and stuff and hope they take a shine to me?

From my point of view if I was employing? Yes. You can draw more conclusions of a prospective employee from a meeting than from a phone call or an email. Just try not to get there when they are really busy. Show up at the office or yard and if they are flat knacker just see if you can t up a meeting with the boss when he has a spare few minutes that he can actually talk. Dress smart too. Had a guy turn up for an interview with me once, dressed in jogging bottoms that kept falling off, looked like he just got out of bed and spent the whole interview texting. Remember, first impressions are the most important. It's what gets you that foot in the door.

So the best thing to do really is to physically go to the lads at the company? Show them how enthusiastic I am make a good impression tell them about what im doing at college and stuff and hope they take a shine to me?

thats how i started:thumbup1:

thats why i did the "bravo :congrats:"

I really wanted to work outside so i went up into the woods one day (well a few days) looking for people working in the forests and asked for a job. 20 years later my body aches quite a bit but i am still soooo glad i did it that given the chance i would do it all again, maybe avoiding the odd hawthorn and other jaggy bushes and trees:thumbup1:

thats how i started:thumbup1:

thats why i did the "bravo :congrats:"

I really wanted to work outside so i went up into the woods one day (well a few days) looking for people working in the forests and asked for a job. 20 years later my body aches quite a bit but i am still soooo glad i did it that given the chance i would do it all again, maybe avoiding the odd hawthorn and other jaggy bushes and trees:thumbup1:

Don't lie. There's nothing quite like squeezing out septic thorns with a big blob of puss to bring a satisfying end to the day :thumbup:

so far ( i was holding my gob!) ive seen two say dont backchat now another one is saying not to ask when you finish.

I would suggest to any of these probably bosses that the fact your saying these things suggests your the sort of boss who has a bit of backchat coming and also the sort who will punish you with "odd jobs" or extra jobs for being efficient like much more so than "others"

if you work hard, and are good at what you do, when your boss gives you some stick, give it back, and if you work like a dog and he gives you another little one on the way home kinda thing, again, hes got some backchat coming!

its a two way street, value your staff and you will be valued, it has to work BOTH ways.

dont be anyones bitch

i am one of them bosses tony i have found in the past if you give some young lads a early dart now and again they start to expect it and there first question of the day is what time are we finishing becouse i said i would do this or go there ect that was the point i was trying to make ! so hold your horses before kicking off theres a good chap or stick to fungus:001_smile:

i am one of them bosses tony i have found in the past if you give some young lads a early dart now and again they start to expect it and there first question of the day is what time are we finishing becouse i said i would do this or go there ect that was the point i was trying to make ! so hold your horses before kicking off theres a good chap or stick to fungus:001_smile:

So, without knowing an approximate time of finish how are your employees meant to get on with their life soutside of work making plans for the afternoon/evening etc. How would you like it if positions were reversed, getting home to dinne rinthe dog and a moody missus...Not much i'd imagine.

So, without knowing an approximate time of finish how are your employees meant to get on with their life soutside of work making plans for the afternoon/evening etc. How would you like it if positions were reversed, getting home to dinne rinthe dog and a moody missus...Not much i'd imagine.

Is that not the norm for our work anyway? How can you set an exact finish time when the job may run on an extra hour or 2? I never expect an exact finish time from anyone that hires me. If i have to work an extra few hours then thats cool i expect it, the next time i work for them i may get home a few hours earlier. Thats how we roll and its the norm swings and roundabouts.

there is always an approximate finish time but thats all it is. You must know as well as i that some jobs you think are only going to take 1 hour then 3 hours later your still tidying it up cursing under your breath that you misjudged it AGAIN! Approximate finish time is very flexible in our job and if your missus feeds the dog your dinner because you didnt come home exactly when you said then maybe its time you changed your missus. I am not getting at you Billy in particular I just see this a lot with people complaining that they are not getting to go home because the job ran on an hour or 2 more than expected. We need to be flexible and try not to give the missus a time you will be home cos you know it doesnt work like that. "I will be home when i am home dear just cover my dinner and i will get it when i get back". Maybe i am just lucky and got an understanding missus ;)