Moisture meters

WFWales

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael, I guess it depends on your specific needs and the value of information you expect to obtain from the meter. However, looking at price brackets, for firewood ( logs) I cant imaging that you would need to spend over £100. I would be looking at a Testo for £75- £100 ish. No doubt there're load of meters out there for under £40. You could take a chance with a cheapo meter..you might get good value; but you are just as likely to buy a lemon. If you need to certify that a meter is correctly calibrated. you've got to spend at least £75- £100. Incorrect data could be worse than no data at all. I'll bet that experienced firewood suppliers can guesstimate W/W% moisture contents within an accuracy of about +/- 10%. Now there's a challenge

Hey - Many Thanks for this Excellent information Chaps - ALL your input is really appreciated - now I have to digest it and work out how to incorporate it into a practical guide for producers wishing to get SBAS certified the WFW way - HETAS stipulate 25% max.

Cheers

M

I have the more expensive version of the Testo moisture meter mentioned above. The build quality is appalling. The £15 one I got from RS had a much sturdier feel and a look about it and like I say.....barely any difference in readings. I didn't test through it's entire range though. Only tested several pieces of wood with the two meters and both gave the same readings.

Thanks Pete. Something like this then I suppose(The £80 version)

Testo 606 material moisture, temperature and humidity meter

It mentions certain species, but I presume for firewood purposes, it would be okay for all?

Michael, sorry for the delayed reply (I've been away from the office). The Testo 606 1 has the appropriate parameters. The species specific functions can be useful in some industries, but you are right, its not of much value for firewood appraisal. There's been a later comment in this thread re build quality. That’s interesting, I’ve always had good experiences with Testo but I not had a hand held from their recent range so I can’t comment on that. However, /durability is really very important for any field instrument so you might want to have a feel of one before you purchase

cheers

I met the testo rep a few weeks back and played with the moisture meter and a few other meters from that range. Look and feel the quality is mobile phone like and guess they would need to be looked after similarly. I doubt they would stand up to significant abuse but didn't see any major problems with build quality.

I have used a termatech md-812 cheap ebay fodder which I think came from a stove supplier for about £30. You should be able to get them for less. It has been invaluable and consistent showing up some suprises. I had some ash seasoned for 2 years that customer complained was slow and difficult to burn. When split it showed 30% in the middle. Anything I split from the store that shows under 20% burns a treat over 25% forget it. I would not spend much on a meter as it will get wet, run over, left on dash in sun etc. The only time ours lost the plot was when batteries are flat. Worth getting one that auto turns of if u leave ours in your pocket it turns on.