Lone working problems

Ford Forester

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 62 family guy not unsociable or I wouldn't be on here but spent of my working life on my own just turned out that way, in many ways prefere it against working with somebody new.

Working alone I tend to make a pre - plan, work at a more steady pace and feel more in control, park my truck so it can be seen and now carry a phone, text where I'm working but if it's clearly a x2 man job it has to wait.

I have worked alone in large factories, ships, airfields, hi-voltage construction overseas, packpacking and aid work in the contra war in Nicaragua in the past - now it's hospitals and woods.

Yes it's a risk but we all drive alone and are often unaware of risks we often accept alone but the one thing that did scare me was living on my own yrs ago, as if I fell off some steps indoors I would rot.

Seeing as I work for a local authority I am aware of some of the "lone working" issues.

However I would not wish to drag my staff into any unnecessary disrepute by ALWAYS "doubling up"

PS

How do most of the farming Community manage?

I do not think you would be able to afford red meat if the livestock farmers insisted in routinely "doubling up"

I know there are accidents including fatel ones, but life is full of risk, assessed or otherwise.

I work alone in the woods at the back of the house, with a chain saw, & I am aware that I could be killed as a result.

I find it concentrates the mind wonderfully.

It could still happen mind.

But I am much more likely to get killed crossing the road.

I've worked alone on previous occasions climbing and ground work. Not something I was proud of and I was extremely careful with every cut I made. Can't always be helped though, I'm just starting out doing the odd small private job, to get a mate in for a small job that I'm only charging £160 for is pointless ... might as well work in asda.

These have only been tiny back garden tree take downs though, would never dream of doing a job alone where rigging or large timber is in play. House owners would'nt think twice about using a chainsaw to cut logs in the garden or for garden work so I think its ok providing your careful in this situation.

This is in a back garden where the nearest human contact is not more than 20m, don't think I'd ever work alone in a forest ... does'nt even need to be a chainsaw injury, you could fall down a rabbit hole and snap your ankle ... long painful walk back to ur van with heavy forestry equipment. :thumbdown: