non genuine piston and pot - any advice?

Chris Sheppard

Well i'm on my 3rd kit from ARB for my Husky 353/346xp. The first 2 blew up when the circlip snapped. Now on the 3rd they have snipped off the tails of the circips and so far so good.

They are great people to deal with and seem to try their best to fix any problems.

I have read about this problem with circlips failing on some non OEM pistons - usually overcome by using the OEM circlips rather than the ones supplied - just make sure the wire they are made of is the same gauge wire!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also always try to use OEM clips and prefer the "earless" ones. They are only a few pence so not worth the risk. Also ditto on reusing the original wrist pin as they are generally lighter and have less of a chamfer on the end to ride over the circlip. Whilst on the subject of clips it is worth installing them with the gap at either 6 or 12 o clock as the predominantly vertical forces then squeeze them tighter into the grooves. At 3 or 9 o clock they can flutter especially the eared type.

Although I've used plenty of aftermarket pistons without any failures yet, these little details are worrying. Just a pity OEM ones are so bloody expensive. :thumbdown:

Unfortunately I don't think there are. However, it might not be too long before there is though. Meteor have started making piston and cylinder kits as opposed to just pistons. Currently they do not offer the p+c kit for 200T, just the replacement piston.

Cheers for the info.:thumbup1:

Hopefully they will as £150+ for oem is a bit much!

I have a few cylinders for you and Mr Spud to nosey at and give me an idea on why they failed.

Will post a thread on it later.:thumbup1:

The cylinder would probably be fine but personally I would have mailed the seller every couple of days - maximum of three times and say you will put the complaint through ebay if you don't get resolution, if this has no effect then raise a complaint through ebay and put it in their hands.

As a buyer you have far more rights than as a seller and ebay will sort it out - normally you are asked to send back the part recorded delivery and then you will receive the money back - I would hope that Arb Ireland would sort it well before this stage.

You could try mailing them saying that they can see the damaged parts on this site - and the fact many people including myself have purchased parts from them and were happy with the service.

There are many chancers on ebay and they may think you are one of them?

If I wanted a kit for a 346 I would have purchased it from them - they are doing themselves no favours in not sorting this - last resort - use the resolution centre.

Got a reply back through ebay apologising for the delay as they've been closed for holidays and they'll get it sorted Monday when they're back in the shop :thumbup1:

Hopefully I'll have it built up next week sometime

Thats great - good there was an explanation and hope you get it sorted quickly - be interested in if the head develops the same sort of power as the OEM one.

They reckon it should make a bit more power, it's 1mm bigger bore but we shall see.

Once it's sorted will put it against mates slightly older 357 and see how they comapre (hope it's at least as good) - probably spend most of its time with 13", 3/8 full chisel with very low rakers in softwood :biggrin: