non genuine piston and pot - any advice?

Chris Sheppard

Probably a good choice, Arb Ireland have real fast delivery and are one of the few sellers that do the closed port 346 cylinder which is probably the one you have got.

Hope it all goes well - take care the circlips are in place properly and the ring locators are nearest the inlet port - arrow points toward the exhaust port!

Hoping it all goes well too :thumbup1: Done a good few 2 stroke bike engines i nthe past and this will be my third saw engine - it's just the diagnosing I struggle with a bit :thumbup1:

Hopefully have this together and getting run in fairly soon and then the pressures off to sort the 353 for a little longer.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good and bad so far - good that it arrived in super quick time. Bad that once I'd unwrapped it all, the top fins were cracked as though it had been dropped - the box and all the packaging, even the heat wrapped cellophane were all in pristine condition so I can only guess it was like that from the factory :thumbdown:

Have let them know and am awaitign a response.

Other than that, though, first impressiosn were OK, will want a bit of a clean up on the casting marks at the base of the transfer ports but other than that it looks OK.

If it comes to it, I'd be happy to fit the damaged one as I'm sure it will run fine, but I'd rather wait and see what they say first.

Hi I am about to fit a cylinder and piston to an early 272XP Huaqvarna(still running but very worn) . Got the kit from gardenhirespares, I'm not sure who the manufacturer is. The box is marked G.M. I have fitted Gilardoni and Tecomec in the past without problems. I wil let you all know how I get on.

Yes - Alec (AGG221) has one on his 044 and now Magnum 066 - both seem fine - only problem I had was I purchased one for a 346XP and it was open ported so wasn't too happy with it.

If you are fitting a new kit and the old one was seized - make sure you know the reason - if it was just losing power then that is fine but you may have just been able to fit a new piston as the plating on the cylinder wears very little.

Hi I am about to fit a cylinder and piston to an early 272XP Huaqvarna(still running but very worn) . Got the kit from gardenhirespares, I'm not sure who the manufacturer is. The box is marked G.M. I have fitted Gilardoni and Tecomec in the past without problems. I wil let you all know how I get on.

The manufacturer will likely be untraceable. Possibly Golf but their boxes usually say "Golf" on them. Might even be Gardenhirespares labelling/repackaging system?

Gilardoni and Tecomec are quality aftermarket replacements, they have been OEM before for Husky. Make sure you check out the "G.M" cylinder for any casting flaws/missing plating etc that may be detrimental to performance and check the piston circlip groves aren't too deep. You might also want to see if you can re-use the piston wrist pin as aftermarket ones are usually a lot heavier than OEM.

Agree with Spud about pressure/vac testing the crankcase before removal of the original piston and cylinder and after installation of new set is best. While you have it torn down be sure to check the crank turns over nicely without any tight spots and also check the big end bearing for any up or down play (very bad) or excessive side to side play (about 1mm is OK). New fuel lines should be installed also just to be safe.

Any non oem cylinders available for the 020 or ms200t yet?

Unfortunately I don't think there are. However, it might not be too long before there is though. Meteor have started making piston and cylinder kits as opposed to just pistons. Currently they do not offer the p+c kit for 200T, just the replacement piston.

Well i'm on my 3rd kit from ARB for my Husky 353/346xp. The first 2 blew up when the circlip snapped. Now on the 3rd they have snipped off the tails of the circips and so far so good.

They are great people to deal with and seem to try their best to fix any problems.