SRT help

the verminator

I use the yoyo method i learned from a guy in Italy... top thing on the rope is a hand ascender with a foot loop, your rope comes down from that onto a grigri attached to your harness, then the rope goes back up to a micro pulley attached to the hand ascender where you pull through the slack. All you do if you want to come back down is take off the ascender and use the grigri to descend. Works well for me :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the yoyo method i learned from a guy in Italy... top thing on the rope is a hand ascender with a foot loop, your rope comes down from that onto a grigri attached to your harness, then the rope goes back up to a micro pulley attached to the hand ascender where you pull through the slack. All you do if you want to come back down is take off the ascender and use the grigri to descend. Works well for me :)[/

Could you put some pictures on please, it sounds a great system

I will post some pics as soon as i have them. It is a good system and i used it a lot, mostly on big trees. Also its useful i found to have your srt for getting into the tree and leaving that rope in place for an emergency line then working off your normal double rope system when in the tree and then descending again using the srt line which is for me the first in and last out of the tree.

Basically its exactly the same as the video but insted of the pully and distel you use the grigri.

system i use,

SRT with hand ascender and Pantin, both dont need to be back up or even life support. As you put you footlock prussik above with atleast 8 wraps for single line. One hand underneath FTL prussik and one hand on hand Ascender. and you are fully safe.

You can descend by either having your Normal Double system on your FTL prussik with a Sling, you should put a stopper knot under ur FTL before you move on it.

Or you can take Ascender off as u weight is in your FTL prussik and put in figure of 8 and descend on 8, whilst holding FTL prussik as back up.

Or tie alpine butterfly clip bineer and pulley etc into that and your Normal system and descend and work off.

This system opens you up to alot of new ways of working around a tree, as sometimes that is you anchor point. But remember be away of the forces involved, as it can be up to double the force of where the SRT line is running.

i can put a pic up if you guys want? thousand words and all.

that other system is way slower than SRT as it has x3 parts in the rope rather than Single Rope Technique. Think its called RAD's System.

Cheers MOG

Edited by MOG

Unicender. I had a go on that and the rope wrench at the show and was converted instantly! Just need to save up to buy one! Is there any talk of the rope wrench going up for sale over here too?

The Unicender becomes even more impressive in use. It is not just for access, and the same energy-saving principles that make SRT so desirable for entering a tree also apply in working the tree.

In this picture notice how little gear is used. The only thing not showing is the Pantin. The line coming from the bottom of the Uni is the foot loop.

Dave

59765b81ee715_Unitosaddle.JPG.ea789d17f9ebaa2bafb34a5766c3eb0e.JPG