Bio fuel made from Rabbits

Pat Ferrett

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. Let me clarify my position a little. :001_smile:

Deer

In scotland the rules do not specify a calibre, I quote; "For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used." A .223 with the correct load can fit this.

By my remark "Its legal and it will do it, if not my cup of tea." I mean that shooting roe deer with a .223 is not something I would wish to do based on my previous experience of this calibre/beast combination. I think they lack the killing power (or Knock out value) compared to more suitable rounds available. However .223s have killed many beasts of all sizes across the globe (A friend of mine doing three captive water buffalo last week sticks in mind).

Other

You can legally use a .223 for any creature if you have "All other legal quarry" as a reason to posses said gun on your FAC. This makes it (IMO) a rival to the 17HMR, rimfire magnum and other such calibres. My point ".223 - Rabbits -> Roe" is trying to show the versatility of the round in comparison to said rimfire/small bore rounds.

I hope this helps, I don't mean to appear how I do sometimes :001_smile:

Sam

I still can't get over the bunny numbers you both shoot in your areas, wish I lived a bit nearer so I could buy some off you - dogs love them.

I changed scopes on my 22lr at Xmas and found it more consistant, so it's just check and keep firing, but it wouldn't group on 'winchester' loves 'Eley' the HMR does get through say twice as many with rezeroing and post cleaning zeroing when the grouping opens up, on the HMR I use 20g gamepoint seams to group better say 0.25" at 100m and doesn't open up like '17g bluetips for feeding dogs.

A while ago I checked the force at 60yds with the 22lr and found it would go through a piece of 2" wood - whereas with the HMR it will just go through 3 pieces of 2" wood at 100yds - not much use just makes me more careful.

I still can't get over the bunny numbers you both shoot in your areas, wish I lived a bit nearer so I could buy some off you - dogs love them.

I changed scopes on my 22lr at Xmas and found it more consistant, so it's just check and keep firing, but it wouldn't group on 'winchester' loves 'Eley' the HMR does get through say twice as many with rezeroing and post cleaning zeroing when the grouping opens up, on the HMR I use 20g gamepoint seams to group better say 0.25" at 100m and doesn't open up like '17g bluetips for feeding dogs.

A while ago I checked the force at 60yds with the 22lr and found it would go through a piece of 2" wood - whereas with the HMR it will just go through 3 pieces of 2" wood at 100yds - not much use just makes me more careful.

Try CCI in the .22

Dry your bunnys out and grind em up and sell em as fertiliser to gardeners Jammy!!! Loadsa gun talk... As long as it dies when you hit it and it dont bust the bank every time you buy more ammo is all im bothered about. As for taking roe with .223 i was knocking roe down in Belgium in 2002/03 all day and night with a .222 with good results. I use .17 for rabbits up here.

I've shot a few Reds and Black Tail with a .22Lr with Subsonics,22WM is a Popular round for Fallow back home.

222 and 223 was used alot by Meat Hunters shooting for the Game Chillers,mainly because the Buyers were only interested in Head/Neck Shot Animals.

Its not what your using,its where you hit it.

Yeah .223 would be a step in the right direction if the cost of Hmr keeps going up :thumbdown: when I last bought Hmr I was told it had gone up becuse of the price of lead, bit strange because when I asked him how much the Mach 2 had gone up by his reply was that it had gone down :confused1:

The infamous John "Pondoro" Taylor killed an elephant with a .22 long. Supposedly. Walter "Karamojo" Bell killed thousands with a 6.5x55 and 7x57. Interestingly weight of projectile/weight of beast ratio using a .416 Rigby on an elephant is the same as using a .22Mag on a Fallow buck.