3 day professional tree inspector course

thomas_3rd

Hi Hama, apologies for delay.

Fungi id and significance, as a recap subject, is a component part of the 3 day course and Ganoderma spp are specifically discussed...however probably not to the level you would find beneficial (bear in mind the course is pitched around a level 3 knowledge base...but, just to clarify, is NOT a level 3 qualification...because it is not a qualification.)

Cheers..

Paul

Then I think the course may need updating, for a mis identification of two ganos in particular is particular dangerous, it HAS to be covered as an issue at the most base of levels let alone a pro inspection course.

the two I am refering to are G. australe and G.applanatum, the former being an aggressive rot which can and often does consume chestnuts/lime and other diffuse porus woods at a pace that will catch even the "elite" out and have them on the hop.

A scope identification is essential.

This is why I asked, because this isnt a simple case of "over and above" info, this is critical info.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks guys, as always a massive help:thumbup1:

to be honest im not wanting to use the certification as a professional service as of yet... as you say i still need more experience, but want to do it to sort of test my knowledge on what i have learnt so far. i bought all the books on the list they give you in assesment sced. a year or two ago and have been studying an reading constantly, think the next stage is to be assesed on how much of a grasp i have on decay in wood and so how this will help me on jobs

shall see if i can get on one of these courses eh! and i def agree on b&b'ing it:thumbup1:

out of interest, how did you all find it? is their any ariel inspection in the course?

thanks guys, as always a massive help:thumbup1:

to be honest im not wanting to use the certification as a professional service as of yet... as you say i still need more experience, but want to do it to sort of test my knowledge on what i have learnt so far. i bought all the books on the list they give you in assesment sced. a year or two ago and have been studying an reading constantly, think the next stage is to be assesed on how much of a grasp i have on decay in wood and so how this will help me on jobs

shall see if i can get on one of these courses eh! and i def agree on b&b'ing it:thumbup1:

out of interest, how did you all find it? is their any ariel inspection in the course?

No aerial inspection...that's just toooooooo dangerous, ha!

Paul

I didn't realize what this course was until I read the link it's a bit above my head:blushing: I would be more interested in a course which was training rather than the exam even without a ticket just as a learning thing. Woul you have a link to the one day course Mick I'm interested in that?:)

This all I can find Lantra and NPTC approved Tree Surgery Training Courses | Kingswood Training - Tree Inspection

Did the basic one day course today, worth doing imo. Now I want to do the PTI course.

This all I can find Lantra and NPTC approved Tree Surgery Training Courses | Kingswood Training - Tree Inspection

Did the basic one day course today, worth doing imo. Now I want to do the PTI course.

good for you mick, :thumbup:

whats it like at kingswood seen the site but never taken any courses there

Richard is reallly professional, thorough, extremely knowledgeable and loves tree's, you'd get on like a house on fire with him Tony.

BTI was good, bit of classroom work in the morning, slideshow with plenty of pics and a few pointers on the legal side of things etc etc, then some basic inspections at the training area and then off to Knole Park for a guided tour.

Given me a taster for it so it has.

Happy birthday you old buzzard....:thumbup:

Richard is reallly professional, thorough, extremely knowledgeable and loves tree's, you'd get on like a house on fire with him Tony.

BTI was good, bit of classroom work in the morning, slideshow with plenty of pics and a few pointers on the legal side of things etc etc, then some basic inspections at the training area and then off to Knole Park for a guided tour.

Given me a taster for it so it has.

Happy birthday you old buzzard....:thumbup:

knole park kicks ass, great site for that course!:001_cool:

ok i'm a little confused now. from the posts i'm reading i'm gettiing that the PTI course is neither a training course or a qualification. so my questions are how do i go about learning how to in depthly inspect trees and what is the point of doing the PTI course, what's to gain?

i too done the BTI course today and found it very useful and interesting. my intention was to do the PTI course at some point in the future thinking that it was a more intense version of the BTI and with a qualification at the end if you pass. ????

ok i'm a little confused now. from the posts i'm reading i'm gettiing that the PTI course is neither a training course or a qualification. so my questions are how do i go about learning how to in depthly inspect trees and what is the point of doing the PTI course, what's to gain?

i too done the BTI course today and found it very useful and interesting. my intention was to do the PTI course at some point in the future thinking that it was a more intense version of the BTI and with a qualification at the end if you pass. ????

it is worth doing, its not a qualification as such, but it does offer a level of recognised ability, important when someone (a judge) turns to you and asks if your qualified to asses or not.

there is no real quals in this assessment game it seems, is it just too "risky" to take responsibility for labelling a student as "competent" still, at least the PTI is the best acknowledged option thus far.

what I dont get is, they say its a level 2 deal, but if its not a recognised qual, how can they assign a level to it!:lol:

it is worth doing, its not a qualification as such, but it does offer a level of recognised ability, important when someone (a judge) turns to you and asks if your qualified to asses or not.

there is no real quals in this assessment game it seems, is it just too "risky" to take responsibility for labelling a student as "competent" still, at least the PTI is the best acknowledged option thus far.

what I dont get is, they say its a level 2 deal, but if its not a recognised qual, how can they assign a level to it!:lol:

ah that makes abit more sense. i suppose for a three day course theres only so much they can fit in, i would think that the sort of knowledge of cause and effects of what you are inspecting would need a lot more attention ie, college, uni, books, on the job training etc. then the PTI would teach you how to apply that knowledge?

i love the bit about it being too risky to deam someone qualified, just another example of how this modern day claim culture complicates things. will quals cease to exist in years to come.