Help please

Rupe

Inonotus hispidus on Ash is pretty bad news as Ed notes and the fruiting body will darken and deteriorate with age until you are left with a charcoally texture.

Inonotus dryadeus on Oak is not great but not even in the same league IMO. It would be worse on Rupe's Turk if it were lower down amongst buttresses. As it is it would seem that it might be exploiting the compartmentalised dead wood behind the callus? Not instantly a fell though, perhaps a reduction is poss?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know, these look so much like young I. hispidus brackets to me- they really have that disctinctive, velvety look that I. dryadeus just doesn't have. All the fungi books say that I. hispidus can occur "on other broadleaves" as well as ash, but I can't say that I've seen it on native oak. That said, does anyone think that it's it possible that Q. cerris is just feeble enough to get it? Anyone have experience of I. hispidus on one of these elusive "other broadleaves"?:confused1:

Slice thinly,finely chopped garlic and shallots and nearly cover with water ( I use beer here!! ) Simmer gently for 10mins then add butter and gently reheat and simmer to reduce to thick sauce. add thyme salt and pepper to taste.....Beefstaek fungus..should be real crunchy!

I. hispidus exudes clear droplets.

But I. dryadeus isn't "peachy" or reddish-brown when young. I. dryadeus is pallid grey becoming brown when it's new, and always smooth.

I reckon the colour of an exudate isn't the best way to spot a fungus since it can react with and/or get digested by something as soon as it hits the air and, as a result, change colour.

But I. dryadeus isn't "peachy" or reddish-brown when young. I. dryadeus is pallid grey becoming brown when it's new, and always smooth.

I reckon the colour of an exudate isn't the best way to spot a fungus since it can react with and/or get digested by something as soon as it hits the air and, as a result, change colour.

Here’s one that I decided was I. dryadeus (hopefully correctly!):

yumity.jpg

I’m posting the picture because the ones at the beginning of the thread looked similar to me, but a bit more advanced.

It was growing at the base of an oak, I thought it looked quite like a white bread roll - it was a young bracket and had only just started to drip.

The ones in the original pic are reddish brown, but I thought that was just where reddy brown exude had dripped on them from brackets above. Colour-wise, photos can be a bit misleading; likewise the fuzzy, rather than smooth appearance might be down to a slight lack of camera focus that you get taking pictures in the shade beneath trees.