(another) eucalyptus thread!

pyro

Hey guys and gals, ive been reading through the eucalyptus threads on here, and thought id got lucky with ours (well i say ours its in dispute with ours and the guys garden that runs along the back of ours, completly different story though!)

Well, for some reason it caught my eye this evening, it looked like it was leaning 10' further over than normal. went out for a closer look, and in my (not so much) proffesional opinion its dead or at least dying. It went into bud and leaved at abotu the right time, all looked well, about a week ago now they all dryed up, and what looked like peeling bark right down to wood level - see pictures)(excuse my terminology im not thinking straight at teh moment thanks to sister and mother twittering in the back ground:001_huh:)

just wondering what you guys would do with it? there arent any more round here that i can compare it too, im just concerned because my shed is underneath it with all my woodturning gear, saw and ppe. (if it fell id want my saw out!)

DSC01071.jpg

about 4meters up

DSC01068.jpg

1-2meters up

DSC01072.jpg

whole tree, evidence of proir management.

thanks

Ben

Hey guys and gals, ive been reading through the eucalyptus threads on here, and thought id got lucky with ours (well i say ours its in dispute with ours and the guys garden that runs along the back of ours, completly different story though!)

Well, for some reason it caught my eye this evening, it looked like it was leaning 10' further over than normal. went out for a closer look, and in my (not so much) proffesional opinion its dead or at least dying. It went into bud and leaved at abotu the right time, all looked well, about a week ago now they all dryed up, and what looked like peeling bark right down to wood level - see pictures)(excuse my terminology im not thinking straight at teh moment thanks to sister and mother twittering in the back ground:001_huh:)

just wondering what you guys would do with it? there arent any more round here that i can compare it too, im just concerned because my shed is underneath it with all my woodturning gear, saw and ppe. (if it fell id want my saw out!)

:confused1::confused1:

skyhuck: that should probably say it went into leaf at the usual time, all looked well, good n green. then the next week it wasnt.

im assuming thats what the :confused1::confused1: meant!

Ben

skyhuck: that should probably say it went into leaf at the usual time, all looked well, good n green. then the next week it wasnt.

im assuming thats what the :confused1::confused1: meant!

Ben

They are ever green, so when was it "out of leaf"?????????:confused1:

The bark peels pretty much all year round so unless what you're referring to is thick, dry, brittle bark coming off to expose the cambium, or worse, then it's normal.

The photos show brown leaves but no other evidence of anything so we can't make any further guesses at possible cause.

Is your shed a recent addition right under the tree? Does it sit on a concrete pad that have impacted the roots?

As I keep saying; give it a few months and see if it bounces back. Several around here do the same thing almost every year. All the green dies off and then come spring it all sprouts back out along the branches and stems. Over in Oz you can see Gums that were totalled in the fires and most of them have sprung back to life. Amazingly resilient. What have you got to lose? It's unlikely to fall down in the next few months or so.