Putting Venison on the Tables of Europe

Mike Hill

Like it or not,Deer are regarded as Pests in New Zealand by the Government.When the price of Venison in Europe climbs, Aerial Venison recovery takes place.The Animals are gutted on the Hillside and flown to a Truck to be taken to a Chiller and eventually Europe.

The Shooter is trying for Head/Neck Shots,as the Carcass is worth more.This explains the Misses.Also the Caliber of the Rifle he is using dose not lend itself well to Body shots anyhow.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g1ZC24CT8g]YouTube - ‪New Zealand Helicopter Deer Hunting‬‏[/ame]

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh I shoot with a man who used to heli-hunt in NZ. He used to use surplus Lee Enfields and used to shoot until the barrel glowed then chuck it and use another. He has killed tens of thousands of deer. When you need to culll deer chopper hunting is fine (Not the way the deer commission for scotland did it...). I object to airborne heli-hunters ferry rich yanks into the mountains, sitting them down and then herding the beasts into the ambush with their choppers, too canned and pretend, and inhumane. Lets not get into the morals of head shooting hey ;)

Helihunting is not for the UK.

I didnt say it was just for the record, I think venison should be considered prime food for market and taken full advantage of, i have a road kill shank on order!

No mate, didn't mean it like that. I think British venison is prime for people to eat (I sell enough of it!) but importing stuff while 65% of UK deer goes abroad is just plain ridicules.

Be very wary of roadkill. If it was finished by a vet then there is a good chance that it will have nasty hama killing drugs in it.

If you tried to fire a Lee Enfield untill the Barrel Glowed,it would

1 Be impossible to see the sights from the Heat Mirage from the Barrel

2 Be impossible to Hold because the Barrel would have heated up the Wood to the point of the oil coming out of the Stock burning your hands.

3 Self Loading Rifles have been used in Deer Recovery since day one.L1A1's,G3's,BAR's etc have been common since the 1950's.I venture your friend is pulling your Leg.

Ask him to show you the Photos of his exploits.

No mate, didn't mean it like that. I think British venison is prime for people to eat (I sell enough of it!) but importing stuff while 65% of UK deer goes abroad is just plain ridicules.

Be very wary of roadkill. If it was finished by a vet then there is a good chance that it will have nasty hama killing drugs in it.

I know a man who drives through an estate early and late each day, if its there in morning he knows its 30 mins or so old.:thumbup1:

2 Be impossible to Hold because the Barrel would have heated up the Wood to the point of the oil coming out of the Stock burning your hands.

3 Self Loading Rifles have been used in Deer Recovery since day one.L1A1's,G3's,BAR's etc have been common since the 1950's.I venture your friend is pulling your Leg.

you shoulda seen the one that got away Mike!

Barrel glow may be a myth, but I've seen the pictures of the floor of the chopper when all you can see is brass. Lots and lots of dead deer, not nice. I will also point out that this chap has pictures of him with the big five, a large scar on his ribcage (not so friendly spots) and the rug said leopard made. He has killed most everything going. And if he says Lee Enfield, it was. :001_smile:

Barrel glow may be a myth, but I've seen the pictures of the floor of the chopper when all you can see is brass. Lots and lots of dead deer, not nice. I will also point out that this chap has pictures of him with the big five, a large scar on his ribcage (not so friendly spots) and the rug said leopard made. He has killed most everything going. And if he says Lee Enfield, it was. :001_smile:

ha ha that told him!

love it:lol: