Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gerrit, A few questions if i may.

1) In the book "prognosis and diagnosis of the development of wood decay in urban trees" by schwarze on page 205 fig 77 it shows three wood samples A,B,C all samples of platanus innoculated with A) G. applanatum/lipsiense B) G. resinaceum and C) with G australe. All blocks without reaction zones present, and illustrastions of 64 weeks incubation.

My first question is do these results which reveal most degradation via G applanatum/lipsiense prove that both G. resinaceum and g australe are true biotrophic parasites because these blocks where removed and not living as they would be in vivo as apposed to here in vitro?

hence the lipsiense sample having the most degraded sampling because it is a necrotrophic parasite?

In the book "prognosis and diagnosis of the development of wood decay in urban trees" by Schwarze on page 205 fig 77 it shows three wood samples A,B,C all samples of platanus innoculated with A) G. applanatum/lipsiense B) G. resinaceum and C) with G australe. All blocks without reaction zones present, and illustrastions of 64 weeks incubation.

My first question is do these results which reveal most degradation via G applanatum/lipsiense prove that both G. resinaceum and g australe are true biotrophic parasites because these blocks where removed and not living as they would be in vivo as apposed to here in vitro?

hence the lipsiense sample having the most degraded sampling because it is a necrotrophic parasite?

Tony,

Although I have my doubts on the validity of this type of in vitro research, I can confirm your conclusions, because according to Ryvarden & Gilbertson, both G. australe (if microscopically checked !!!) and G. resinaceum are only documented fruiting from living trees.

Tony,

Although I have my doubts on the validity of this type of in vitro research, I can confirm your conclusions, because according to Ryvarden & Gilbertson, both G. australe (if microscopically checked !!!) and G. resinaceum are only documented fruiting from living trees.

Thanks Gerrit, So if in vitro is only of limited use to us for ecological and assesment methods how do we do research and gather the data we need in Vivo?

By gathering lots of data from in vivo or in situ research.

i am constantly told that i need to be robust in my work, I have always taken images to capture important observations, but I feel as i am moving toward a more serious intent i need to start taking more data, but what data is unclear to me as yet.

I am considering taking soil PH, texture, type, temperature of air soil and or wood, substrate type, rot type if visible. as a matter of routine in future, is it worth the effort?

and if not what info IS worth gathering?

I am considering taking soil PH, texture, type, temperature of air soil and or wood, substrate type, rot type if visible. as a matter of routine in future, is it worth the effort? and if not what info IS worth gathering?

Tony,

The most important thing is to monitor and document a forest/woodland plot or an individual (veteran) tree and its tree species specific ecosystem(s) during at least 10 to 15 years of its life cycle, before first conclusions can be drawn.

Tony,

The most important thing is to monitor and document a forest/woodland plot or an individual (veteran) tree and its tree species specific ecosystem(s) during at least 10 to 15 years of its life cycle, before first conclusions can be drawn.

Well that bit i have been doing for at least five years now, at least five properly, it must have taken the five years prior just to know what i was looking at!:lol:

• 2 weeks later...