Keizer's Fungi Q & A.

David Humphries

The first two (or three ?) photo's probably show Anthrodiella semisupina, which has as a field identification characteristic, that you can not bite through the bracket with your front teeth.

Matt,

Or provided the annual brackets are spongy and soft, it is a Postia or Tyromyces species, which depending on the species, causes a white or a brown rot.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony,

A bit more info might be helpful : annual/perennial, soft/brittle or tough tissue, smell, tree species, and anything else you might think of to keep you (and me) from crying :001_rolleyes: .

No distinct smell ( im a smoker) Though I do detect the iodine scent in boletus impolitus. and I didnt smell it when fresh only after it had aged a bit (i dont like damaging them) old beech pollard in ancient woodland, i took a small piece (after sporalation) and it dried ROCK hard and fibrous, though was brittle but brittle tear it had an almost soaked look about it when dried, some kind of residue within the bracket? It was large, pores not discimilar to Trametes Gibbosa maybe finer and less angular. the upper (velum?) was almost felty and the bracket apart from small tonal areas was strikingly white, like a beacon of absolute beauty:001_smile:

I didnt take long over making my identification, I had been looking for this one for a long time and very annoyed to discover a certain well known encyclopedia had an image that as I now know is NOT this but gibbosa.

that book led me astray a view times, as im working on a purely visual, macro basis, it has lenzites betulinus, but the image in the book is daedalea quercina, this has frustrated me a few times over the years. It isnt your book either, :thumbup:

I identified it as trametes suaveolens, but im curious as to your view of it, I know images dont really tick all the boxes as to these purposes, learnt that the hard way!:001_smile:

1. ... it dried ROCK hard and fibrous, though was brittle but brittle tear it had an almost soaked look about it when dried, some kind of residue within the bracket? ... the upper (velum?) was almost felty

2. ... to discover a certain well known encyclopedia ... that book led me astray a view times, ... it has lenzites betulinus, but the image in the book is daedalea quercina, this has frustrated me a few times over the years.

3. It isnt in your book either ?

4. I identified it as trametes suaveolens ...

Tony,

1. These are the exact characteristics of Aurantioporus fissilis. I left a piece of it outside for over a year and it still is hard as a rock and fibrous at the same time.

2. What well known encyclopaedia ? You mean the photo of L. betulinus, which clearly :thumbup: is Daedalea quercina, on page 532-533 in the book by Ewald Gerhardt :blushing: ?

3. What isn't in my book : Trametes suaveolens or Lenzites betulinus ? I'll attach two recent, more representative photo's of L. betulinus form birch, both with Panellus stipticus underneath.

4. Trametes suaveolens only grows on willows (and sometimes on poplars) and has a distinct smell of aniseed if fresh and of iodine when dried.

Fopelfenbankje-(onderzijde).jpg.2869088973dea87ce5ea695cf2187e48.jpg

Fopelfenbankje-(bovenzijde).jpg.d88b60380f4fd598e7e4c3e002e1cc72.jpg

wasnt in your book, i meant the mistakes not that a fungi was excluded.

and NO not the book you mention! I wont name name of book here, but PM it.

so the suaveolens still eludes me!

I thought L. betulinus parasitised Trametes Sp? so whats the connection to the bitter oysterling? Panelus stipticus

Sorry for jumping the thread... But your mention of Lenzites betulinus caught my eye! This is a fungus I havent notised or (as far as Im aware) come across yet.

The reason im asking is that I came across a birch that had broken off at 5-6 meters which I found quite odd as there was no obvious reason for it. There was some brittle brown rot but not much and a fungus on a branch on the other side wit a fb I quickly identified as Bjerkandera but these pictures got me thinking...

Whats the implication for a tree hosting Lenzites betulinus? Does my description fit?

I will have to go back and have a second look at the fungus...:blushing:

Sorry for jumping the thread... But your mention of Lenzites betulinus caught my eye! This is a fungus I havent notised or (as far as Im aware) come across yet.

The reason im asking is that I came across a birch that had broken off at 5-6 meters which I found quite odd as there was no obvious reason for it. There was some brittle brown rot but not much and a fungus on a branch on the other side wit a fb I quickly identified as Bjerkandera but these pictures got me thinking...

Whats the implication for a tree hosting Lenzites betulinus? Does my description fit?

I will have to go back and have a second look at the fungus...:blushing:

Your birch snapped due to piptoporus betulinus

... some brittle brown rot ... Whats the implication for a tree hosting Lenzites betulinus? Does my description fit?

Xerxses,

Whereabouts in Sweden ? And to answer your question, L. betulinus is a saprotrophic (simultaneous) white rotter, which hardly ever grows on the trunks of standing trees and has about the same effect on dead wood as the mycelium of Trametes versicolor has, the species it sometimes parasitizes on.

1. so the suaveolens still eludes me!

2. I thought L. betulinus parasitised Trametes Sp? so whats the connection to Panelus stipticus ?

1. Attached a photo of T. suaveolens as it grows on old pollarded willows, of which we have a lot in The Netherlands.

2. Correct, on T. versicolor. And there is no connection with P. stipticus, in this case they just co-incide, without penetrating each others mycelial territories.

Anijskurkzwam.jpg.6a50a091db17f76165f5eb4be9091c34.jpg

1. Attached a photo of T. suaveolens as it grows on old pollarded willows, of which we have a lot in The Netherlands.

2. Correct, on T. versicolor. And there is no connection with P. stipticus, in this case they just co-incide, without penetrating each others mycelial territories.

yes the same image in your encyclopaedia, but you can see the upper surface better here, mine was felty compared to this which appears much smoother.

good to know, so lenzites does rot wood and does not JUST live as a parasite of the trametes then? ive only ever found it in association with T. gibbosa and versicolour.