Bark damaged by fire - What to do?

Fahrenheit

Hi all,

My father visited us from Spain around 6 months ago and thought he would help us out by burning some rubbish in the garden. He chose to do it under one of the massive trees.......consequently the heat from the fire has damaged the tree and caused the bark to fall off.

There are three trees together and two have damage to some of the bark on one side. I assume something needs to be done about this to protect the tree? If so is it something i can do and if so what needs doing? Or is it something i need to get a pro in for? Is it just a case of painting it with something or is there more to it.

I'm clueless about tree health so any help would be much appreciated.

I'm not trying to save money either....if it's in the best interest of the tree i'm happy to pay a pro.....i really don't want these trees to die!

Please see photos below.

_wsb_340x429_photo.JPG

_wsb_341x488_photo4.JPG

_wsb_338x440_photo3.JPG

_wsb_337x406_photo1.JPG

The long term future of either tree isn't great. They are not currently unsafe however as it will take time for rot to develop on the exposed wood.

The trees appear to be reasonably young, perhaps you could fell the multi-stemmed one and keep the other and see how it does.

It's hard to give good advice from a photo though.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

give it a few seasons and if they start to close the wounds then think about having them reduced in 10-15 years to keep the leverages low and do the reduction maybe every 5 years till the trunk has iether sorted the damage out or has degraded beyond salvage.

there's no panic, its not bad at the mo, but worth keeping an eye open, if its effected structurally it will show in the bark at some stage, as buckles folds or tensions.

has woundwood started to form yet at the wound edges?

give it a few seasons and if they start to close the wounds then think about having them reduced in 10-15 years to keep the leverages low and do the reduction maybe every 5 years till the trunk has iether sorted the damage out or has degraded beyond salvage.

there's no panic, its not bad at the mo, but worth keeping an eye open, if its effected structurally it will show in the bark at some stage, as buckles folds or tensions.

has woundwood started to form yet at the wound edges?

To add another question, would mulching these give them a boost to speed up their recovery?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

My father visited us from Spain around 6 months ago and thought he would help us out by burning some rubbish in the garden. He chose to do it under one of the massive trees.......consequently the heat from the fire has damaged the tree and caused the bark to fall off.

There are three trees together and two have damage to some of the bark on one side. I assume something needs to be done about this to protect the tree? If so is it something i can do and if so what needs doing? Or is it something i need to get a pro in for? Is it just a case of painting it with something or is there more to it.

I'm clueless about tree health so any help would be much appreciated.

I'm not trying to save money either....if it's in the best interest of the tree i'm happy to pay a pro.....i really don't want these trees to die!

Please see photos below.

_wsb_340x429_photo.JPG

_wsb_341x488_photo4.JPG

_wsb_338x440_photo3.JPG

_wsb_337x406_photo1.JPG

What has happened is a real shame... Beautiful tree. I hope it's a soldier and fights through what is to come