Advice on a log splitter for home use.

Stevie Mac

Not quite what what you were asking about but I have been using one of these 7 Ton Hydraulic Log Splitter just reduced from titan pro, order a new 6 Ton Hydraulic Log Splitter today for over a year and split about 12 ton and apart from a few minor repairs it has done me proud. It copes with all I throw at it just done 1 and a bit tons of eucalyptus with out a hitch !!! just a thought ;-)

I use one just like that Dodge. First to split 46 m3 of hornbeam and odd oak fellings and now just finished 44 m3 of beech. Some of the beech logs were 50cm diameter!!. Only thing I have done is replace the hydraulic oil between seasons. Good value bit of kit, cost me 120 euros 3 years ago.

Thanks for all the advice lads. I have got a load of dead elm to go through and it was taking me a long time to get through one log with a axe and splitting wedges. My splitting axe is just a cheapo one so I think what I will do is buy a decent splitting axe and a couple more splitting wedges.

If I do decide to start selling firewood it would just be to family and friends so maybe a log splitter is a bit over kill.

Any advise on a good axe?

Cheers

Stevie

Hope everyone is having a relaxing easter!

Only on axe to get Fiskars 7854,checkout the American reviews here

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/81221.htm

To be honest the are bloody brilliant,beats a wood grenade and sledge hammer by a mile

Cheers for that Stu, Probably looking at getting myself a Helko Vario 2000.