Woodland Bluebell munching animals?

armybloke

I am now managing a 8 ha piece of woodland totally void of deer (I hope) due to a 12ft high electrified security fence. There are badger flaps inserted at intervals around the fence as we know there is a sett inside. The woodland has not been touched/managed since 1991 and is in 'pristine' condition. There is a blanket layer of Bluebells under oak and hazel. I have noticed that the bluebells are being nipped at the flower. I am aware that Muntjac love Bluebell flowers but I doubt they get in via the badger flaps (but open to suggestion) so what else eats Bluebell flowers? Anyone come across this is in their travels? :confused1:

I am now managing a 8 ha piece of woodland totally void of deer (I hope) due to a 12ft high electrified security fence. There are badger flaps inserted at intervals around the fence as we know there is a sett inside. The woodland has not been touched/managed since 1991 and is in 'pristine' condition. There is a blanket layer of Bluebells under oak and hazel. I have noticed that the bluebells are being nipped at the flower. I am aware that Muntjac love Bluebell flowers but I doubt they get in via the badger flaps (but open to suggestion) so what else eats Bluebell flowers? Anyone come across this is in their travels? :confused1:

Munties will get in. Get a man with a rifle in and do a proper cull. If you have munties hit them hard and often, but get someone who knows deer. Hares will eat bluebells too. :001_smile:

Mesh is about 25mm and electrified! that help? Seems like Muntjac are my prime suspects but are they intelligent enough to keep using the same entry and exit holes each time and not get stranded in there? I have checked for prints but as we've not seen rain in months I am at a bit of a loss. Thanks everyone for comments so far.

Try sticking some sand down by the badger flaps, or take the surface down to a fine earth cover - depends on how many you've got to do. Check them, regularly and smooth them out after checking - you'll soon find out what's coming and going. Might not give you the answer but it'll give you a start.

if the whole woodland is fenced at 8ha in one block, you could have a good number of munti's in there and never see them, i would be cutting some decent rides and getting some deer lawns set up near suitable trees for a high seat, if the woods getting EWGS WIG's funding you could try and tap them up for the cost of the high seat as i know i have seen figures in one of the WIG budgets for high seats and deer management

if the whole woodland is fenced at 8ha in one block, you could have a good number of munti's in there and never see them, i would be cutting some decent rides and getting some deer lawns set up near suitable trees for a high seat, if the woods getting EWGS WIG's funding you could try and tap them up for the cost of the high seat as i know i have seen figures in one of the WIG budgets for high seats and deer management

To qualify for a wigs or ewgs grant you have to have a deer management plan prior to any payment! Once you qualify you can get money for high/low seats and even to pay for a deer manager!