Cedrus atlantica dying/dead in close proximity

sloth

Took down a very much dead cedar yesterday, the 3rd dead one to be removed in 4 years, all a stones throw from each other. Also, one more showing yellowing and thinning of the foliage, also a stones throw. Oh, and possibly related, a Scots pine died over the winter, also a stones throw on the other side of the road.

My question: what could have caused their demise?

All cedars between 100-150 years old, the Scot maybe 35-40. No signs of decay in any of the cedars (what does rot them!) No body language of decay in the Scot (which we will probably remove at some point).

My boss thinks the roots 'picked up a seam' in the soil they didn't like! (Same thing he thinks causes die back/stag heading in oak and ash in fields) I reckon the gravel drive the cedars are next to may have more significance, although I'm not convinced its a compaction issue, and its not near the Scot.

Did notice one or two 10mm wide beetle galleries under the bark on the trunk, nothing extensive though.

So, any ideas or suggestions please? :)

Would these not show decay on the cross sections? Also there are many other trees unaffected. Including a semi mature copper beech with extensive decay/ hollow trunk and what appears to be hispidus brackets in the cavity (which looks typical hispidus canker like). Honey would 'get' the other stressed trees, no? Or show bootlaces under the bark of the cedar?

Would these not show decay on the cross sections? Also there are many other trees unaffected. Including a semi mature copper beech with extensive decay/ hollow trunk and what appears to be hispidus brackets in the cavity (which looks typical hispidus canker like). Honey would 'get' the other stressed trees, no? Or show bootlaces under the bark of the cedar?

the hispidus in the beech are inonotus cuticularis, a nice fungi, the beech isnt stressed, just hollow.

rot would not be evident in the ceders nor pine, honey kills a tree often with very little to show bar a little mycelium under the bark, bootlCES MAY NOT BE PRESENT

the hispidus in the beech are inonotus cuticularis, a nice fungi, the beech isnt stressed, just hollow.

rot would not be evident in the ceders nor pine, honey kills a tree often with very little to show bar a little mycelium under the bark, bootlCES MAY NOT BE PRESENT

Tony is right. The mycelium if it is present could be just on the below ground parts of the tree. I've felled large dead cedars with hardly any above ground signs of hf, just subtle mycelium beneath small dead patches of bark between butresses

Thanks all, gotta love arbtalk and its members!

I just checked in Rogers and yes it was cuticularis, the hama strikes again ;)

Am I right thinking hf mycelium is white fans, what makes it distinguishable from other mycelium fans?

If it is hf, would it only be a problem on stressed cedar, ie compacting from the driveway?

Phaeoleus, does it cause decay in cedar? Not sure I've ever seen very rotten cedar wood, something must munch it though!

Thanks all, gotta love arbtalk and its members!

I just checked in Rogers and yes it was cuticularis, the hama strikes again ;)

Am I right thinking hf mycelium is white fans, what makes it distinguishable from other mycelium fans?

If it is hf, would it only be a problem on stressed cedar, ie compacting from the driveway?

Phaeoleus, does it cause decay in cedar? Not sure I've ever seen very rotten cedar wood, something must munch it though!

plenty will chew through a cedar my man.

HF is fan shaped yes, quite distinctive.:thumbup1: