Look at this.

Harrison2604

Yea whatever:thumbdown:

I have given you many examples of why NOT to pollard, you have given me few with little weight and no real sense. Try talking in laymans terms instead of trying to complicate things, try giving good sound examples of your point instead of asking how many ancient pollard woods i have seen and saying i know nothing of the art. You have come up with no real proof that pollarding is good, all you can say is they are older :confused1: until you prove to me pollarding is good i will continue to think otherwise. My mind is not closed it is yours that is closed :banghead:

Goodnight i have a proper pruning to perform tomorrow and for sure it will look as it should when i am done, it will just be a little bit smaller

Listen I went through all the standpoints in my career, I studied shigo and just like you became obsessed with the good prune, then I studied some more, and my views have now progressed to such a point that I can understand all the elements of a tree.

I understand where you are coming from and do not feel the need to make you chjange your views, hence i am not trying to force my opinion on you.

we are all entitled to our opinions, my view comes from much study and contact with veteran trees, can you say the same?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And further; can you just clarify your point about playing god and destroying what they feel like destroying? We destroy things in everyday life all the time be it as part of our work or for the food we need to survive, for fuel, necessaties, luxuries etc. Personally I don't like people as a rule because I find many ignorant and arrogant and I'm happier with my own company but we are all destructive in one way or another.

my point exactly.

Listen I went through all the standpoints in my career, I studied shigo and just like you became obsessed with the good prune, then I studied some more, and my views have now progressed to such a point that I can understand all the elements of a tree.

I understand where you are coming from and do not feel the need to make you chjange your views, hence i am not trying to force my opinion on you.

we are all entitled to our opinions, my view comes from much study and contact with veteran trees, can you say the same?

yes i can.

Surely ANY pruning is manhandling a tree away from it's natural form so what's the difference between pollarding and any other form of pruning when relative to this argument?

Good point, As you said we have to live somehow so i make my money doing what i think is best, What i see in my experience is rot when pollarding is done, when proper pruning is done the tree can close its wounds before any real damage is done. This is my reasoning and it is logical.

Good point, As you said we have to live somehow so i make my money doing what i think is best, What i see in my experience is rot when pollarding is done, when proper pruning is done the tree can close its wounds before any real damage is done. This is my reasoning and it is logical.

So you are still manhandling a tree then? And I've seen plenty of examples of "proper pruning" that still lead to rot and decay. Also, I presume you don't like yourself if you don't like humans that destroy things? That wasn't meant to be vitriolic but you can't have a crack at everyone for destruction if you are part of that destruction. We all are in someway, it's just some try and balance the destruction by doing other more positive things. Further, you say your pruning is done to what you THINK is best. How do you know that this IS what is best?

So you are still manhandling a tree then? And I've seen plenty of examples of "proper pruning" that still lead to rot and decay. Also, I presume you don't like yourself if you don't like humans that destroy things? That wasn't meant to be vitriolic but you can't have a crack at everyone for destruction if you are part of that destruction. We all are in someway, it's just some try and balance the destruction by doing other more positive things. Further, you say your pruning is done to what you THINK is best. How do you know that this IS what is best?

I completely agree with you :thumbup: but i can have a crack at anyone i wish because i know who i am and accept my faults.

I am no innocent bystander just like everyone else. I do what i do because i love this job and i feel sorry for every tree i have cut. The only reason i do it is because for us humans and trees to live together then sometimes we have to control their growth in certain aspects (i would rather that i did it than someone who doesnt care), moreover in the urban environment where if a tree is left to its own devices it can take over and become damaging to property etc. I dont like the fact that we have to intervene but we do. I wish there could be such a control on humans as well. As for "proper pruning" that can still lead to rot and decay, well i try my best to minimise this by doing proper cuts and not cutting too big. I dont know 100% that this IS what is best but it IS what i THINK is best from what i have learned and seen over the years. I am still waiting on proof to the contrary if it exists, my mind is open as i have said and if i am doing wrong then enlighten me please :confused1:

I completely agree with you :thumbup: but i can have a crack at anyone i wish because i know who i am and accept my faults.

I am no innocent bystander just like everyone else. I do what i do because i love this job and i feel sorry for every tree i have cut. The only reason i do it is because for us humans and trees to live together then sometimes we have to control their growth in certain aspects (i would rather that i did it than someone who doesnt care), moreover in the urban environment where if a tree is left to its own devices it can take over and become damaging to property etc. I dont like the fact that we have to intervene but we do. I wish there could be such a control on humans as well. As for "proper pruning" that can still lead to rot and decay, well i try my best to minimise this by doing proper cuts and not cutting too big. I dont know 100% that this IS what is best but it IS what i THINK is best from what i have learned and seen over the years. I am still waiting on proof to the contrary if it exists, my mind is open as i have said and if i am doing wrong then enlighten me please :confused1:

Fracture pruning can be ' the only one ! '

:lol:

Is decay and dysfunction a normal thing in a tree?

If every thing was perfect then, we, us man kind the world the solar system the universe......would not exist. Fact. (Steven Hawkins.)

with out decay and dysfunction we would not exist, so your answer to that is it is normal,

We have a 350 year old ash tree in a little place called donington in lincs and it was roughly pollarded about 200 years ago. its amazing when you look at it just how fragile it really is but it still shows the signs the strength the persistent's to carry on with life. now on the other hand we have a beech tree over 400 years old in another little village call kirton which has no previous reductions whats so ever it has no signs of fungi (except the micro orgs) and the tree is an absolute monster living its most amazing beauty of all UNTOUCHED.

So like i've said before the fact of whether or not a reduction of any kind is wrong or right will never be answered. niether in my life time or any one elses but one thing i do know they will out live us all.:001_tt2:

If every thing was perfect then, we, us man kind the world the solar system the universe......would not exist. Fact. (Steven Hawkins.)

Is he related to Justin Hawkins then?:confused1:

_39730457_justin_hawkins_pa.jpg

sorry, couldnt resist:thumbup1: