Look at this.

Harrison2604

1) pollarding produces a tree with minimal loading, a more efficient transport netwrok and photosynthetic area.

2) how can you deny the beuty of an ancient tree, and pollards are the oldest.

3) because it is an accepted practice in all but elitist arboricultural circles.

Well Hama we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

1) they do perfectly well with the crown nature gave them.

2) they are the oldest because all our untouched trees are now either firewood or part of some rotted wartime relic.

3) Accepted by very few that i have ever met except poor Mrs Smith who is now regretting her decision.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Hama we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

1) they do perfectly well with the crown nature gave them.

2) they are the oldest because all our untouched trees are now either firewood or part of some rotted wartime relic.

3) Accepted by very few that i have ever met except poor Mrs Smith who is now regretting her decision.

How many ancient pollard woods have you been to?

you know so very little of the art, dont be so sure.:001_cool:

How many ancient pollard woods have you been to?

you know so very little of the art, dont be so sure.:001_cool:

Forestry Commission Scotland - Heritage Trees of Scotland - The Fortingall Yew

thats the oldest tree i know of in britain and as far as i know it was never pollarded.

I wouldnt call it art i would call it human manipulation of nature which in my eyes is never a good thing.

Forestry Commission Scotland - Heritage Trees of Scotland - The Fortingall Yew

thats the oldest tree i know of in britain and as far as i know it was never pollarded.

I wouldnt call it art i would call it human manipulation of nature which in my eyes is never a good thing.

I knew you was the sort that had already made up his mind, open your not.

How many ancient pollard woods have you been to? answer was a yew that had you say had never been touched!:confused1:

They think i am an extremist, but you dont even like humans!

I knew you was the sort that had already made up his mind, open your not.

How many ancient pollard woods have you been to? answer was a yew that had you say had never been touched!:confused1:

They think i am an extremist, but you dont even like humans!

I never said it had never been touched, i said it had never been pollarded and you asked me to show you trees that were older than pollarded ones. As for ancient pollarded woods i have been to a few but sorry if i never counted and to be honest i dont like to see the trees in such a manhandled state. You are correct however about me not liking humans especially ones that like to play god and destroy whatever they feel like destroying.

I do have an open mind, in fact i am more open minded than most but you are not filling it with anything that is worthwhile. You are obviously stuck in your ways and there is no changing your mind either on this subject so lets be done with it. The fact of the matter is, to me a pollarded tree is not how it should be and therefore ugly and destorted by man, to you it is beautiful and full of your beloved fungi case closed! you like it and i dont. Lets move on...

I never said it had never been touched, i said it had never been pollarded and you asked me to show you trees that were older than pollarded ones. As for ancient pollarded woods i have been to a few but sorry if i never counted and to be honest i dont like to see the trees in such a manhandled state. You are correct however about me not liking humans especially ones that like to play god and destroy whatever they feel like destroying.

I do have an open mind, in fact i am more open minded than most but you are not filling it with anything that is worthwhile. You are obviously stuck in your ways and there is no changing your mind either on this subject so lets be done with it. The fact of the matter is, to me a pollarded tree is not how it should be and therefore ugly and destorted by man, to you it is beautiful and full of your beloved fungi case closed! you like it and i dont. Lets move on...

as i said, a closed mind, case proved:001_rolleyes:

as i said, a closed mind, case proved:001_rolleyes:

Yea whatever:thumbdown:

I have given you many examples of why NOT to pollard, you have given me few with little weight and no real sense. Try talking in laymans terms instead of trying to complicate things, try giving good sound examples of your point instead of asking how many ancient pollard woods i have seen and saying i know nothing of the art. You have come up with no real proof that pollarding is good, all you can say is they are older :confused1: until you prove to me pollarding is good i will continue to think otherwise. My mind is not closed it is yours that is closed :banghead:

Goodnight i have a proper pruning to perform tomorrow and for sure it will look as it should when i am done, it will just be a little bit smaller

Yea whatever:thumbdown:

I have given you many examples of why NOT to pollard, you have given me few with little weight and no real sense. Try talking in laymans terms instead of trying to complicate things, try giving good sound examples of your point instead of asking how many ancient pollard woods i have seen and saying i know nothing of the art. You have come up with no real proof that pollarding is good, all you can say is they are older :confused1: until you prove to me pollarding is good i will continue to think otherwise. My mind is not closed it is yours that is closed :banghead:

Goodnight i have a proper pruning to perform tomorrow and for sure it will look as it should when i am done, it will just be a little bit smaller

Surely ANY pruning is manhandling a tree away from it's natural form so what's the difference between pollarding and any other form of pruning when relative to this argument?

And further; can you just clarify your point about playing god and destroying what they feel like destroying? We destroy things in everyday life all the time be it as part of our work or for the food we need to survive, for fuel, necessaties, luxuries etc. Personally I don't like people as a rule because I find many ignorant and arrogant and I'm happier with my own company but we are all destructive in one way or another.