starting forestry. am i mad.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi. am i mad for wanting to do forestry aswell as tree surgery. i have my own business with 3 of us working pretty much full time. i've been offered to extract 500 ton of spruce douglas and larch off a local estate and would love to get stuck in. i've got a valmet, winch and timber trailer and guys to fell but i cant work out the maths and bothered that theres gonna be a massive price cut on day rate for a long time. i know it all depends on how much the timbers bought and sold at, and how much can be felled a day but roughly how much can be felled and extracted in a day. some advice and examples would be much appreciated. many thanks, mike

It,s great out in the woods with your mates with big toys to play with, We don,t make a fortune but i look forward to going to work and i am HAPPY!:thumbup:

That more like it flaming ace, some propper forestry with propper tractors.

:001_tt2: to all this fancy new fangled machinery

yeah man!!! old kit all the way :thumbup:

where about in hereford are you based flaming ace?

Eardisland/Pembridge area, half the kit pictured is my grandads the other half is my cousins, i work a few days a week with each of them :001_smile:

Just a couple, I need to remember to take the camera out on site more!:sneaky2:

nicee! the second pic is the barony forwarder training area? am i right? wouldnt forget those rough old logs, was thinking to myself when i was up there they needed to get some fresh in aha

Are you mad? Maybe :biggrin:

Should you do it? maybe

Will you earn Arb money? probably not :001_rolleyes:

Will it get under your skin and take over you're life? Absolutely :thumbup:

I've only been back in the woods since November after a couple of years doing other things and I'm loving every minute and don't know where the last 6 months have gone.

None of the hassle of dealign with loads of multiple customers, no mobile signal most of the time, no one milling about getting in the way and most of the time the scenery is great :biggrin:

This is what our landing currently looks like - the little landini is doing a great job but I'm really missing the old County

59765b2664c73_Picture201.jpg.a70aa7daa1c1368e0199ee39f798b649.jpg

59765b26609c2_woods029.jpg.fd8dc455411683723dec4dbdc5d29d53.jpg

nicee! the second pic is the barony forwarder training area? am i right? wouldnt forget those rough old logs, was thinking to myself when i was up there they needed to get some fresh in aha

Indeed it is. I wouldn't play like that in the woods :biggrin: The Fozzy gets in new logs every year, they last a term, then the first years learn to cross cut them the second year :001_smile: