stihl over heating cutting out

BTS

im having a very similar problem with mine ive noticed the previous owner of my saw put some completely black (non original) twist lock caps on the saw does anyone know if the breather should be in the cap? or is there an external one on a pipe?(that i cannot see) would it be worth buying some of the old style caps? (before having a look at the piston etc) thanks guys

im having a very similar problem with mine ive noticed the previous owner of my saw put some completely black (non original) twist lock caps on the saw does anyone know if the breather should be in the cap? or is there an external one on a pipe?(that i cannot see) would it be worth buying some of the old style caps? (before having a look at the piston etc) thanks guys

The breather is a stubby pipe sticking out of the top of the fuel tank with a screw insert in it - found in the air box.

Some old saws had breathers in fuel caps but is very unusual now, most are pipes running out of the tank.

If you can't sort it, I do a fair bit of service work in my spare time. This may sound like tinkering but I have facilities to pressure check, tach tune, compression check and do total rebuilds!

The breather is a stubby pipe sticking out of the top of the fuel tank with a screw insert in it - found in the air box.

Some old saws had breathers in fuel caps but is very unusual now, most are pipes running out of the tank.

If you can't sort it, I do a fair bit of service work in my spare time. This may sound like tinkering but I have facilities to pressure check, tach tune, compression check and do total rebuilds!

ive just had a quick look over the saw and have found a clear pipe coming from the top of the fuel tank with what seems like 2 springs inside but no plastic valve bit on top(not sure if you only get these on newer saws)? also it wasnt in the airbox it was tucked under a gap next to the air box

ive tuned it to hell and back and it seems to start idle and rev quite well but just wont push a (sharp) chain through anything bigger than 6 inches in diameter compression seems good i havent got a gauge to test it with but is very firm to pull

clutch drum/sprocket are fine

fresh 50:1 mix in

went to check the spark arrestor plate only to realise it wasnt there? :S

good spark clean air filter

and thats as far as ive got so far where abouts in hertfordshire are you spud? and do you charge an hourly rate + parts or do you price it by job?

cheers

James