Strength Training

LancsMike

Could you expand a little on this - genuinely interested.

For weekEnd warrior his advice may apply but he hasn't produced any high ranked lifters,and his instructional videos on form are terrible.knees over toes on squats,no explanation of hip thrust.I was bit hasty to say fraud as his Olympic lift instructional isn't bad but his powerlifting advice flat out sucks.

I'm a competetive lifter so maybe my veiws are biased from only following people who can back up there info with guys who put up thousand pound squats lol

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers. I'm getting back into all this after a few years off in the office and whilst I'm clearly never going to be a competitive powerlifter, I'd like to think that I'm moving past weekend warrior :D. I've managed to rid myself of the chronic back pain that came from a combination of youthful log lifting exuberance and duff deskjockey posture and though I'm not gonna shout exact numbers I can squat 1.5x and deadlift 2x my bodyweight for (what I think are) strict reps. I feel in better health than I was when I was climbing everyday and I attribute this to broadly following the starting strength principles.

One thing I've noticed is that throughout the ocean of information (and junk) that there is regarding lifting, there are programmes that aim for different goals - I'm not sure the Rippetoe Starting Strength stuff is aimed at powerlifters. Would that be fair?

Now, I thought hip drive/thrust was covered pretty well by Rippetoe although he does state knees should be just forward of toes during squats. TBH I can't stay properly balanced if they aren't, maybe because my bar position is higher on my back? What's the deal with knees/toes?

1000 lbs huh. Can't see that happening anytime soon! :D

good to hear your lifting again bud :).cant beat a nice heavy session with the iron.

some people really like rippetoes advice,kind of apples versus oranges thing i think lol plus i think the guys a pretty nasty guy in person to be honest aswell

The further over your toes your knees go the more stress that is placed on the very small patella tendon right at front of your kneecap,in the end with heavy weights it leads to chronic pain and stiffness,at worst a complete patella tendon rupture.If you havnt tried box squats too much i highly recomend them it will help with your squatting balance issues aswell,your toes are well behind your knees and teaches you to squat primarialy using only your hips and glutes,good squatters shins will never move, all the movement initiates by breaking at the hips then sitting back.If wanting toease back in after a lay off or just fancy anything new try jim wendlers 5 3 1 method,i combine elements of that in with westsides templates its a fantastic little method.

if any tips needed for box squats hit youtube with "westside barbell box squats" .

Condensed tips:

heavy weights low reps above 5 sets tho

plenty of good carbs healthy fats and a big wallop of protein

plenty of rest and fluid

avoid machines and cable exercises and stick to bread and butter basic barbell lifts

and hit your core and lower back and work it hard with resistance.

Condensed tips:

heavy weights low reps above 5 sets tho

plenty of good carbs healthy fats and a big wallop of protein

plenty of rest and fluid

avoid machines and cable exercises and stick to bread and butter basic barbell lifts

and hit your core and lower back and work it hard with resistance.

I've been giving a lot of these tips a bash, thanks a lot guys.. really appreciate the advice although I think I went one step better than a benchpress - Dragging a Sankey trailer up/down the driveway in the morning and evening is bloody hard work :lol: along with reversing it up in a Defender with no powersteering.. feel like I've done an arm wrestling match with Arnie afterward

Evenin' all,

Had a scan through the threads on here about Weight training - I've been doing it myself since November last year after I packed in smoking but I'm finding my strength hasn't jumped up a huge amount. My main exercising is just with 20kg dumb bells doing a few varied exercises [bicep Curl / Tricep kick back / Pullovers ] but I've been finding my chest hasn't increased a great deal either.

My Q is - Whats the best exercises to do ? & is it worth looking into whey protein and other supplements ? My diet is pretty good and packed with meats/eggs and complex carbohydrates but just not getting that edge I'm after. But I've read that kettlebells are great, doing benchpress helps and even just plain pressups so I'm a bit confused on whats best.

Any insight/help/advice would be appreciated,

Cheers

- Mike

Do you consider your build to be?

It depends on your build and what you want to do.

For tree work you want to condition your body so you have endurance, power, strength and stamina!

You don't want to be pumping 25KG bicep curls, you want to do about 20 reps of 12kg but again this depends on your current build and what weight you find comfortable to use without breaking a sweat in 5 reps!

Lots of push ups, chin ups, tricep dips, sit ups, lat and shoulder work outs!

Balanced diet is good.