stihl 051

burrell_

From memory (so could be very wrong!) this was from the 090, 070, 050 etc. series, but rapidly got updated to the 051 as the 050 was known for screaming. I think it's 89cc, had an AV version and a non-AV version, and didn't have a chain brake. It's relatively low revving - about 10,000 peak and peak power at about 8,500, so high torque.

It's a pretty popular cheap saw to fit to an Alaskan, as parts are easily available due to the long production run and many are available in pattern, the lack of chain brake isn't a problem and the high torque/low revs are an advantage. I've just rebuilt one for this purpose, and will fit a 30-32" 3/8 bar (it was originally .404, but there's an Oregon sprocket to convert it). You can find the parts manual available to download for free on t'internet.

Alec

I have two of these which get used for ringing any large timber I collect,if I remember right they are 89cc and about 6 hp but will depend on condition of bore as one of mine is quite scored and will only manage to run a 25" bar the other which is like new will quite happily run the 36" I recently fitted.

I have a new pot and piston for the stihl disc cutter and I think its the same as the 051 . I had one about 2 years ago used it for firewood till it went bang. Think it may have been silicon in Tesco fuel that killed it. Did not feel that powerful and low revving heavy to lump around all day.