MEWP rules and regs

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Hi paul, just a little one!

2-3 years ago I did my use of a chainsaw from a MEWP, I also was assesd on the set up of a spider/tracked mewp at the time (is this one ticket) I have in the last few days been told that now in order to be able to hire tracked MEWPS (without) an operator i will need an individual ticket costing £350 for a 2 day assesment for each type of MEWP to be used.

So one ticket for a Leo 30, another ticket for the 38 etc etc and another for the merlin 24 and so on.

In order to gain a respectable use basis i will need three tickets, over a grand in costs and 6 days of leave.

Can you clear up for me personaly (and others) what is currently required legaly and with regards to AAAC and best practice notes so i can start getting this all under my belt and sorted.

Confused.com:001_huh:

I do have another concern about this issue, if we now have to pay an additional £250 for an operator to be with us during use (extra wieght in bucket also limits MEWPS abilities and increases risks.

Will the extra costs not push MEWP use out of the desired armoury of use,already expensive enough to make MEWP use very uncompetitive against current firms not using them much if at all.

IPAF ( International Powered Access Federation IPAF | English ) have changed the types of classification that where in force a few years ago. So ANY platform with outriggers is now on one ticket (static boom 1b) that will cover trailer, vehicle, spider etc that has no height restriction as far as I am aware, but to use a mobile scissor lift, vertical personnel platform is 3a, or a self propelled boom is 3b which are separate tickets.

2-3 years ago I did my use of a chainsaw from a MEWP, I also was assesd on the set up of a spider/tracked mewp at the time (is this one ticket) I have in the last few days been told that now in order to be able to hire tracked MEWPS (without) an operator i will need an individual ticket costing £350 for a 2 day assesment for each type of MEWP to be used.

So one ticket for a Leo 30, another ticket for the 38 etc etc and another for the merlin 24 and so on.

In order to gain a respectable use basis i will need three tickets, over a grand in costs and 6 days of leave.

Can you clear up for me personaly (and others) what is currently required legaly and with regards to AAAC and best practice notes so i can start getting this all under my belt and sorted.

Just as a matter of interest, told by whom?

IPAF ( International Powered Access Federation IPAF | English ) have changed the types of classification that where in force a few years ago. So ANY platform with outriggers is now on one ticket (static boom 1b) that will cover trailer, vehicle, spider etc that has no height restriction as far as I am aware, but to use a mobile scissor lift, vertical personnel platform is 3a, or a self propelled boom is 3b which are separate tickets.

Correct!

Tony, APOLOGIES for the delay in replying herebut I'm extremely busy at the moment and the 'work / life' balance is somewhat out of kilter...sorry!

Sounds to me like you've done the NPTC Unit CS47 - Chainsaw from MEWP. Hence my take would be you need to ensure you understand the specifics of any machine you hire, i.e. hirers training, as you've already, effcetively, got a CoC, albeit combined with chainsaw use.

I will check further though and let you know if any different.

What i would sugest tho, IF you have some funds allocated, is consider doing an IPAF/CITB MEWP ticket as these are more readily recognised on construction etc. sites.

Cheers..

Paul

Tony, APOLOGIES for the delay in replying herebut I'm extremely busy at the moment and the 'work / life' balance is somewhat out of kilter...sorry!

Sounds to me like you've done the NPTC Unit CS47 - Chainsaw from MEWP. Hence my take would be you need to ensure you understand the specifics of any machine you hire, i.e. hirers training, as you've already, effcetively, got a CoC, albeit combined with chainsaw use.

I will check further though and let you know if any different.

What i would sugest tho, IF you have some funds allocated, is consider doing an IPAF/CITB MEWP ticket as these are more readily recognised on construction etc. sites.

Cheers..

Paul

no worries on the delay, NEVER worry about time, ive got loads and just leave bill till your ready and willing!

My concern is regarding wether or not I am alllowed to use a track/spider without an official controller/poerator. If not is there a ticket that enables me to "self hire" a tracked MEWP, and is there a one off or one for each mEWP?

Hama,

I think the main distinction in respect of MEWP (formal) training/competence is the 'scissor' type machine as opposed to the 'boom'.

Presumbaly the tracked MEWP is a boom type and hence if you have generic training/competnec for this type of machine then you just need to undertake 'familiarisation' training with the hirer / supplier, ideally with soem form of record of such, and away you go.

Hope this clarifies, at least a little, and doubtless others will contribute who dleiver MEWP training...PLEASE.

Cheers all..

Paul

Refraining from saying the 's---y' word but been busy with the BS3998 seminars & HSE?IOSH events.

Hama,

I think the main distinction in respect of MEWP (formal) training/competence is the 'scissor' type machine as opposed to the 'boom'.

Presumbaly the tracked MEWP is a boom type and hence if you have generic training/competnec for this type of machine then you just need to undertake 'familiarisation' training with the hirer / supplier, ideally with soem form of record of such, and away you go.

Hope this clarifies, at least a little, and doubtless others will contribute who dleiver MEWP training...PLEASE.

Cheers all..

Paul

Refraining from saying the 's---y' word but been busy with the BS3998 seminars & HSE?IOSH events.

Tracked MEWP is self propelled therefore a separate ticket to spider or static.

but is it necessarily though? a tracked mewp like a teupen 'SPIDER lift' such as the Leo model to which tony refers is a static use mewp. It is only self propelled to get it positioned and cannot be lifted without legs down lifting the tracks off the ground and rendering it to all intents and purposes 'static'

in contrast, the long tele boom counterbalance-looking mewps with four wheels, that can move with the boom up/out, is definitely something different and what i would say comes under self propelled