Arb training advice for 19 yr old son

blazer

My son is finishing his A-levels but doesn't want to go to uni, he's now 19 so can't claim for training, so it's all out of my savings.

He's looking at a RFS level 2 cert part-time and doing some NPTC tickets so at least he could work as a groundie, he has done alot of tree work with me and others, so I can't see any problem to him gaining qualifications.

My question is it a good route into the arb-industury into getting a job or do you advise a different route.

thanks in advance:thumbup1:

I think you've got the ight idea.

Level 2 training alongside hands-on experience will give him a good start and realistic outlook on the industry.

In a few years time, if he wishes to progress further, there is the tech cert which is pat time.

I think you've got the ight idea.

Level 2 training alongside hands-on experience will give him a good start and realistic outlook on the industry.

In a few years time, if he wishes to progress further, there is the tech cert which is pat time.

I agree:001_cool:

and good luck to him, and dont forget theres a whole load of support and knolwedge here for him when hes ready:thumbup:

Many thanks - it's hard to know what approach to take but I think with his A-levels in science subjects, it won't be a waste of time if he can expand out with a range of skills later.

I'm 62 and work as a medical engineer for a day job and have just done my CS30/31 so I now understand the system and plan to do more tickets and may work through some with my son to help set him up.

It was so different for me when I started you simply picked a skill and went for it as an apprentice, but now it's so hard to know what to go for with so many gaining degrees and getting no job and the study bill. My son wanted to join the police or fire service but they are not signing on.

It seems for modern youth = either study for a degree, work for 'tickets' to gain any skilled work, or flip burgers for 50 yrs. How to gain 'tickets' was never properly explained to him when he left school with the big bias for A-levels, most of his mates all clever lads have dropped out and gone for an easy job to get a motor bike etc but now are regreting it.

thanks again - he will join the forum soon - expect a wierd name:thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...

**UPDATE***

Now my son wants to do his CS30/31 so he can work as a 'groundie' later this summer, what other 'NPTC tickets' does he need or advised to get to ensure he stands a good chance of getting work? he's paying for them himself.

He's finishing off his A-levels at the moment and now plans to work as a groundie to gain practical experience, plus earn some money and try for level 6 part time in September.

He has helped me doing woodland work on a large estate so he's used to the work enviroment and had his first saw ms170 when 11(plus full PPE) and a ms260 when 14, ok I'm naughty buying them but he grewup working safely.

Thanks in advance :thumbup1:

Many thanks, he's got a bike licence (due to the cost of car insurance) and taking his car driving test on the 29 Apr royal wedding day so the roads should be quiet - he's been driving since he could reach the pedals, when he had his first driving lesson the instructor carefully explained how to let the clutch out - so off he went, with her saying "I didn't expect that".

Got him in for a SC30/31 in July at Morton Morrell college.

Yep will sort out chipper and trailer tickets for him ASAP:thumbup1:

Contacted a local contractor with his plan and he came back saying," he has no vacancies now but will contact him first when needed" - so it's a start.

It sounds like your lad could do this job with his eyes shut, and it has been down to you.

don't tie yourself down to the shoulds and musts.

If he has common sense then start him wherever and he will follow the right path, you don't need to see the whole staircase, just the first step :)

He is 19, has been confined to education since the age of 4, let him enjoy himself mate, you sound like an great dad, be confident in the job you have done and let him go it alone and take on the world :)

Many thanks for you coments Steve. I thinks it's a dads job to help them on in the early years while they will listen 4 -15'ish expect a problem phase, and if you can work through that it changes to a more adult relationship together.

I never got on that well with my own dad - had to work the lot out for myself.

I was concerned about lads playing until they start work, have no idea about work, then comes an accident. So I took him over to a large estate when young and built camps, fires and got him into axe work and as he grew up saws and quads etc. As he has been working in woods and swimming since a tot he has large upper body build and can work in a relaxed assertive way.

Yep it's time to let him sort it out more for himself - but still needs his mum to get him out of bed in the morning:laugh1: