best breakdown cover?

jrose

Hi all,

My RAC policy has just expired, and it's time to renew. This is quite important, as I drive a 20 year old Land Rover 110 and it's likely at some point I may need mechanical help at the side of the road, miles from anywhere!

The 110 is a pickup, so classed as a commerical vehicle if this makes any difference. Can anyone reccomend the best breakdown service - AA, RAC, Green Flag, or another company?

cheers,

Joe

I've been with the RAC for years, and have no problems at all with them, I had the glow plugs go in my work vehicle last winter, and they were out to get the truck started at home in the middle of nowhere in the snow in about 40 mins, didn't lose much of the working day, as just had an extra cup of tea and cleaned kit and sharpened saw etc. I have never been let down by them and would not consider changing.

I'm with the AA, and they've been ok, although I haven't called them out for a few years. From what I've heard though, they've gone downhill since a hedge fund or private equity company took them over. They cut the number of rescue crews down to save money.

I run a 23 year old 110, and you have to be careful that such an old vehicle is covered, and that they'll take any trailer you might have. Not all of them do that, and I think some have a limit on the age. It'll all be hidden in the small print.

The RAC do a policy designed for caravan owners going on hols that will get you and trailer recovered to a site and then back home afterwards... all at a very reasonable price. They 'could' refuse to recover a trailer when your tow vehicle breaks down- however in real life they have always been very good lads!

rac always get my vote, only needed recovery once when the bottom fell out of the steering box on the disco, they brought a wagon and recovered it to the next town to my chosen garage. when my bro didn't renew his AA policy they sent him a snotty letter to the effect of don't come running to us when you breakdown and are stuck with no money and no friends in the rain at night, don't they do plumbing now or something?