Public speaking- time to get help!

Hi Tony, others have given you some great advice so I will just add what has helped me, although I am not what might be called a shrinking violet when it comes to the spot light. (Based on your numerous wonderful posts I suspect I talk about very similar topics to those you are thinking about covering)

Pick a very simple aspect of the topic you are going to present, if the prospective audience has a particular interest then this can be a pretty obvious choice. If the audience does not have a single interest the you choose which element you wnat to introduce them to...could be a particular fungi and tree species relationship, could be a particular management approach.

There is no way the breadth of the subject for which you have so much passion can be done justice in 40-60 mins especially if you want to let people ask questions at some point.

If you are using powerpoint choose some of your favourite pics, ones you know inside and out (so you know the 'back story' behind the tree/woodland and its associates).

On the topic of powerpoint some do's and don'ts I have learnt...

Have a back up plan for when the powerpoint lets you down:blushing:..no power pc craps out, room too bright etc.. etc... Generally my back ups are timber discs sections and radial sections, fruiting bodies of my fav fungi some simple visual experiments that can be carried out on soils with jars of water (clay soils and reactivity) some kit - nylon sounding hammer is a fav (someone else already mentioned that) and butchers paper and big marker pens...lots of halls have a white board or even a black board hiding somewhere.

Don't have slides with lots of text...simple short messages fine but no paragraphs...you want them to be listening not reading

Don't talk to the screen...glance at it (if you can't have a display on a laptop infront of you) then talk to the audience.

I really hope you do decide to jump in and present...I think once you get over the bad experience of the Bestmans speech you'll let yourself enjoy connecting with others sharing your wonderful insights and perspective on the natural world.:thumbup1:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there is a knack to it really, it just comes with time. In the last 3 years I've had to start regularly presenting to large groups (up to 150) and it took me at least 5-6 meetings till I wasn't panicking and a year of it till I felt confident.

Get some help. Groups like Toastmasters or debate clubs can give you practice and help.

Speaking is a skill and is developed with training, experience and learning.

One of the best ways to learn is to ask for an honest critique of your prentations by those attending.

Where are you in the SE?

I used to run training courses on presentations for a variety of people..

Am happy to try to dig out the slides/handouts.

There are loads of books you could take out from the library too.

Key things to think about..

You know a lot more than the audience (clear from your posts on here)

Let your enthusiasm show (greatest public speakers in last 100 years include...

Hitler, Churchill, Martin Luther King, Maggie Thatcher, Billy Graham. (not John Major).

Remember to use pauses - don't be affraid of short silences.

Be nervous! If you aren't nervous you can come across as arrogant, complacent.

Nerves will be natural - let them help- not hinder.

Overall structure.. First 10% of time, tell them WHAT youre going to tell them,

next 85% TELL THEM, Last 5% tethem what you TOLD them (Intro/Main/Summary)

Remember the audience want it to be good, they are on your side.

Good luck

Shane

Finally - remember to speak the words, don't read them. Use key words only for notes and let your knowledge and expertise drive the delivery.

Edited by Shane

Thats some good pointers, and kind of what i had thought, but what if there is a Tony S in the audience and I get grilled scientifically speaking and fail to understand the tone, i will lose all credibility and I cannot slip up, not once, for when i do arbor ecology will suffer.

The bit I highlighted, it is my strength, I will one day know what i need to know to take on the academics in their own way, and when I can, i will win the war against the narrow minded sanitation of Gaia.:001_smile:

I will win because I speak the truth.

What will really get the Tony S's firing up the George Foreman is any unsupportable certainties. If you are making an educated guess or inferring from your experience - its fine to say so. Don't set yoursefl up for a fall. Similarly if you don't know something, don't feel you have to justify yourself; the person asking the question didn't know either.

Oh and leave the ideology at home or gauge your audience extremely well. A presentation shouldn't be a sermon. :D

What will really get the Tony S's firing up the George Foreman is any unsupportable certainties. If you are making an educated guess or inferring from your experience - its fine to say so. Don't set yoursefl up for a fall. Similarly if you don't know something, don't feel you have to justify yourself; the person asking the question didn't know either.

Oh and leave the ideology at home or gauge your audience extremely well. A presentation shouldn't be a sermon. :D

good advice.:001_cool:

Where are you in the SE?

I used to run training courses on presentations for a variety of people..

Am happy to try to dig out the slides/handouts.

There are loads of books you could take out from the library too.

Key things to think about..

You know a lot more than the audience (clear from your posts on here)

Let your enthusiasm show (greatest public speakers in last 100 years include...

Hitler, Churchill, Martin Luther King, Maggie Thatcher, Billy Graham. (not John Major).

Remember to use pauses - don't be affraid of short silences.

Be nervous! If you aren't nervous you can come across as arrogant, complacent.

Nerves will be natural - let them help- not hinder.

Overall structure.. First 10% of time, tell them WHAT youre going to tell them,

next 85% TELL THEM, Last 5% tethem what you TOLD them (Intro/Main/Summary)

Remember the audience want it to be good, they are on your side.

Good luck

Shane

Finally - remember to speak the words, don't read them. Use key words only for notes and let your knowledge and expertise drive the delivery.

Watford.

thats some really good tips.:thumbup1:

Get some help. Groups like Toastmasters or debate clubs can give you practice and help.

Speaking is a skill and is developed with training, experience and learning.

One of the best ways to learn is to ask for an honest critique of your prentations by those attending.

I am going to look into those kinds of training, good input.

I was always an introvert at school. Very much the shy boy and kept to myself. I got roped in to singing a solo at the local Parish chruch and I've never been so scared in all my life. The school tried to get me there the following year but I made my excuses. A few years later I was at business college and was explaining my fears to one of the tutors. He told me to act. Act the extrovert, put on a show. If someone gives you a put down throw it back at them. If you are public speaking act like YOU are the man and YOU know everything. I didn't believe a word of it but gave it a go anyway. I couldn't believe how well it worked. People find you weaknesses but if you put on the act it's easy to hide your fears.