MS460 Air Filter - seems to be leaking fine dust...?

TimberCutterDartmoor

The filters fine, the problem is that when the plastic nut is tightened down the filter can still be loose.The nut tightens down on something other than the filter.

Either grease the mating face of the filter or cut yourself a gasket out of thin compressed foam or rubber to take up any slack.

I get very little dust behind my 046 filter

ATB Andy.

The filters fine, the problem is that when the plastic nut is tightened down the filter can still be loose.The nut tightens down on something other than the filter.

Either grease the mating face of the filter or cut yourself a gasket out of thin compressed foam or rubber to take up any slack.

I get very little dust behind my 046 filter

ATB Andy.

Is this just on your saw, or are you generalising?

Mine definately was sealed correctly, you can tell by the dust spread on the defuser, and even see the clean area from the filter seal on the second pic;

DSCF0135.jpg

DSCF0137.jpg

Is this just on your saw, or are you generalising?

Mine definately was sealed correctly, you can tell by the dust spread on the defuser, and even see the clean area from the filter seal on the second pic;

DSCF0135.jpg

DSCF0137.jpg

That's exactly what mine is doing; that should be squeaky clean in there not plastered as it is!

Mine used to look like that, but since i`ve used grease its not been a problem. The problem has been discussed at length on the arboristsite and the seal was identified as a possible cause.The threaded rod is too long or some other part stopping the plastic nut cinching the filter down and sealing it against the opposite face. It nonetheless feels tight,

I tried grease and the problem stopped, so i can only think theres some truth in it.

That crud was definately going through the filter on mine, and these pics were taken after only a few tanks of fuel.

Heres another of what mine was like inside the defuser. You can see clearly here where the filter sealed on the housing;

DSCF0138.jpg

There could be a train of thought that this fine dust is "only wood" and would cause little damage to the engine due to low abrasive properties.

BUT, it proves the standard filters are not adequate, and in the situation where more abrasive dust is present, this would definately shorten the life of the engine.

Well worth the investment of the upgrade in my opinion.

Edited by 18 stoner

Heres a link to a thread.Not the one i was looking for which went into a lot more detail and more solutions, but it worked for me. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/147319.htm

Hope you work it out.

Looking at your picks there is a buildup of dust top left of the seal join. Although there is none showing in the mating surfaces, the restriction here would draw dust straight through anyway. So it wouldnt remain. Wouldnt suprise me if this wasnt where your problem is.

Edited by raker

Hope you work it out.

Raker, Im not saying you are wrong, I am sure there are some that do not seat correctly but as you can see in my pics, there was no problem with filter seating.

Since fitting HD I have had no problems, therefore the standard filters are NOT upto the job.