Upgrading

Paulfreebury

Hi all

Ive been recreational tree climbing for a couple of years now, I bought a new tribe saddle as my first saddle and I climb using split tail, I get up to the canopy ok but I don't seem to have a lot of freedom to move out on to branches, is it my gear? Or just my inexperience?

Kindest regards

Paul:confused1:

I'm self taught, I am purly recreational not an arbourist I've looked at courses but everything is just too expensive I'm still finding my feet as regards to climbing I know the basics and I've learnt a lot over the few years that I've been climbing, but somethings missing and I'm not sure what

Kindest regards

Paul:confused1:

The single best bit of advice is get some expereince with a climber.

The other thing is you need you rope set as high in the tree as possible so that you can limb walk etc. more easily.

Just in case you don't know: As high as possible, but also around the main stem on a limb at least as thick as your forearm. Go a little bigger on brittle species, can go a little smaller on stronger ones.

Keep an eye out on here for climbing get togethers.

Do you use a cambium saver? They can make all the difference on limb walks as you aren't battling a load of friction. If you have a few quid to splash out a rope-guide would be better again. Friction is the enemy of smooth climbing.

Edited by scottythepinetree

Thanks scotty I am considering a new saddle a lockjack and a rope guide, I think the attachment point is too high on my new tribe saddle It seems to force me to lean back, i am considering a treemotion saddle but not tried one so in need of advice on that too.

Kindest regards

Paul

Thanks scotty I am considering a new saddle a lockjack and a rope guide, I think the attachment point is too high on my new tribe saddle It seems to force me to lean back, i am considering a treemotion saddle but not tried one so in need of advice on that too.

Kindest regards

Paul

try the austria duo, the attacheble seat is so comfy, also try arange a recreational get to gether with so other arb talk users, im sure theyed be happy to help you mate

If you think the high attachment point on your harness makes you sit back, think you'll find a lower attachment point like the treemotion or skylotec will force you to lean bac more. Edelrid treemagic probably closer to what you are looking for, or a Petzl. High attachment point, makes you stand more upright when moving about the tree in my experience.

You should try a few before settling on one that suits you the best.