Smooth climbing

Ross Smith

Oh yeh! I keep forgetting to do that. I'm stuck in a backlog of video at the moment in preparation for Sydney, but I might put together a 'folding tree montage'. We've done a few now, some with explosives.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so. The one over the main road? Or do you mean the video of folding the whole row of Eucs onto themselves at dawn, and then craning off?

I don't wanna derail the thread, talk to you on the email?

Glad to see your here too Joe, your amongst good company.

Seems like they even let tree loppers on here mate... a proper Arborist urbanii wouldn't be seen dead in this company. I'm off to get a soy mochachino - you guys can talk about the Sekret Tree Lopers Cod in peace...

Joking aside (I'm only kidding about Angus, he even owns his own pruning saw!) I'll get this back on the topic of spiderjacks...

Mesterh asked:

How good is it at fine/slow feeding?

The answer is that it takes practice. You know how when people start climbing on spider/lockjacks it looks really jerky at first? It's kind of digital (either on or off) when hitches are analogue (gradual attentuation of friction). My experience of the lockjack is that it's hard to get past that without putting a spare hand on the line to control the friction. I haven't climbed on the LJ much though, so a more experienced user should answer that.

The spiderjack can be made a lot more analogue with practice. I have found that I can bring myself to a complete stop by applying pressure with the wooden block, before releasing the cam. This makes the system much more fluid, and also reduces wear on the cam. Took me about 2 months to get out of the jerkiness.

Took me about 2 months to get out of the jerkiness.
You give me too much material to work with. I hope they put full fat milk in your soy mochachino. :laugh1:

Never (tree) climbed with mechanical friction devices, hitches and pulleys for me, are they like gri-gri's when you're belaying someone rock climbing?

In the sense that a gri-gri is a mechanical friction device, yes they're similar. The analogue control Joe mentioned, over your decent speed is not as intuitive at first which makes them very different.

When the tail of the rope leaves a gri-gri, it tends to not pull slack through the device. It needs to be manually tended. The SJ almost self tends.

At least that is what I understand... :confused1:

Mesterh asked:

The answer is that it takes practice. You know how when people start climbing on spider/lockjacks it looks really jerky at first? It's kind of digital (either on or off) when hitches are analogue (gradual attentuation of friction). My experience of the lockjack is that it's hard to get past that without putting a spare hand on the line to control the friction. I haven't climbed on the LJ much though, so a more experienced user should answer that.

The spiderjack can be made a lot more analogue with practice. I have found that I can bring myself to a complete stop by applying pressure with the wooden block, before releasing the cam. This makes the system much more fluid, and also reduces wear on the cam. Took me about 2 months to get out of the jerkiness.

Cheers for the info.:thumbup1:

Sounds like a lot of work has to go into it to get it right!