SIA- the tree pulling test/theory

I think it is interesting that only a couple people have anything to say on this thread.

It is not surprising as this is a very complex method to understand the intricacies of and as such very few people have ever read beyond the summary of what the test is and what it does.

Youre forgetting that although many are not posting they are reading, havent checked the views on this thread yet but im sure its growing.

I guess for me the most frustrating part of it is that I have so much respect for the supporters of both methods.. Neville fay and Claus have both been most influential in my thinking over the years.

And not being a closed mind kind of guy I want to understand SIA so that I may make a more informed decsission about its validity in tree the assessment process. I dont feel I will ever need it, Im sure a thermo image will reveal all I need to know if it ever goes that far that I need more info than standard VTA.

I also do not want to end up in a position where a client asks about SIM SIA as an option and cant tell them a thing!

I think it is interesting that only a couple people have anything to say on this thread.

It is not surprising as this is a very complex method to understand the intricacies of and as such very few people have ever read beyond the summary of what the test is and what it does.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with comments like this, or comments previously:sneaky2:

I think your "way" with words, and possible your attitude may make people less likely to want to join in. :thumbdown:

I think it has to do with people like you who have installed a cable to pull a tree and think they understand but when questioned clearly have not read anything.

This is a highly complex test and the understanding that is required has been limited to very few people. I think there are less than 50 people in the world who do tree pulling. So of course it is my way with words, not the fact that only a handful of people do the work.

Of course you climbed one tree to install a cable so I should not question your abilities.

Oh yes

"I think this is done in a lab, method:breaking sticks and measuring their bend ratio. think these values are logged and averaged for different species" in response to how is breaking strength calculated.

The point I am making is most people don't know because most people have not read. I have not read Wessolly and Erb. 1998. Handbuch der Baumstatik und Baumkontrolle. Patzer Verlag, Berlin, Germany and I wonder how many others on this (or any other) board have. This might answer the question of how the numbers for this small part of the safety calculating algorhythm are calculated.

Its not surprising to me its over my head and others and thus we do not have much to say about the test. If people want more than a cursory knowledge of the test and theories behind it they better start reading and studying.