Ascending on spiderjack2

waz77

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind offer Bob i'll give you a shout if im struggling:thumbup1:

Waz, just a quick question as it sound like you have not climbed with a VT/Spiderjack style setup before. How many pulls up are you taking before you tend the slack through the hitch?

You may find that you want to footlock a lot more with a spiderjack. I do it even for small movements to reduce elbow damage.

Another tip is alternate the arm you are hanging off when you are tending slack to spread the load over your arms equally. Have your arm fully extended too and this helps joint and tendon damage in the elbow.

As others have said the less friction your spiderjack has the better it will work, pulley in the top or a cambium saver. Also I find they are best with thinner ropes (I use Blaze). But I only weight 10.5 stone so heavier guys may prefer a thicker line.

As Deer man says some people use the slings or other methods to get the hitch away from them so they can pull the slack through. I tried it a few times and never got on with it as I prefer footlocking, however that setup is great for having a groundsman help pull you up.

Have fun.

Well guys i followed the advice of Bob and Deer man and loving it now:thumbup1:

Jonny, previously i was taking 4 pulls then tending left handed,was'nt keen on that method but now ive put a sling between as suggested which is long enough to pull from below the sj but still short enough so that i can operate it at a comfortable arms length for descending.

Got the thumb brake sussed now too so i think we'll get along fine now.

Used it set up on a pulley and its a breeze on long ascents.

Thanks again guys:thumbup:

Im using 13mm rope Bob and mine would'nt self tend even with around 40-50ft of rope below although it pulls through without too much trouble.Does it need to be 11mm to get the best out of it for self tending?

sorry never tried it on 13mm

personally i like tachyon as 11.7mm

tried blaze but less wear before it started to slip

so middle size seems better

I also use a lockjack and seems fine on 13mm

but i said on other thread try a rubber bandit on the spine it does help

sorry never tried it on 13mm

personally i like tachyon as 11.7mm

tried blaze but less wear before it started to slip

so middle size seems better

I also use a lockjack and seems fine on 13mm

but i said on other thread try a rubber bandit on the spine it does help

could you explain the rubber bandit idea to me please? i have used spiderjack for nearly 2 years now, so anymore help is appreciated!

As on other thread

Just helps stop it sliding round the corner and side loading

Tbh I use them on nearly all crabs for ease and efficiency

Even just to hold tool strop in line with one either side58688914-070d-a5a4.jpg