Getting funding for Training?

Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to get funding from the Gov. or other organizations to get the NPTC credits. Anyone know if it's possible, what criteria is required and who to talk to? I have 4.5 years of experience as a climbing arborist outside of England, an I.S.A. arborist's certificate and 4 years of reforestation and maintainance of tropical dry evergreen forests. I would like to work in England as as climbing arborist. Eventually would like to become municipal arborist.

cheers,

Island

Hi Island,

I know of a couple of options if you are currently a resident in Scotland that can help support the costs of funding your NPTC training/assessments.

However, i am not sure if they would be applicable or not.

One is the ILA £200.00 grant, which is open to residents in Scotland, aged over 16 and earning under £22,000.

The other is from Skills Development Scotland, called Flexible Training Opportunities, and they will refund 50% of your course fees, up to £500 for up to 10 different training courses. You need to apply for this before end of March 2011 and complete all your training by end of June 2011.

A lot of our customers use the ILA grant, as you do not need to pay anything up front, and this can be used every year that you are eligible.

In addition, the Flexible Training Opportunites is massive help to those who are self-employed or employ up to 75 people. A substancial saving can be made on training with this. However it is not likely to be extended into the next financial year.

Take advantage while you can!

Hope this helps.

Ta

Rach

Are you an EU citizen, Island? Your OP suggests you are not a UK citizen which might make funding rather tricky - if you are an EU citizen have you lived in the UK for at least 3 years?

If you are female there is the LANTRA women at work funding stream in the UK

If you are male or female and in Wales there was some funding recently mentioned but I cant for the life of me remember the title

With all the govt funding cuts its a bad time to be getting funding..........

I would have thought your best bet would be to get a job with a firm that would put you through your tickets (as you already have the experience to get on with the job)

You will have to think of novel ways to convince the employer to hire you and pay for your assessments rather than hiring in an already qualified climber though....maybe offer to work for free to give someone an idea of how well you work?

I received assistance with funding last year for CS30 and 31 through Northwoods - there are funded by RDPI and I just did a subsidised first aid course in January. I think there is a Yorkshire version called Yorwoods so it may be worth contacting them.

Hi and thanks,

is this only available in Scotland? I'm currently in Sheffield.

cheers

Unfortunately it is only available in Scotland, I am not too sure of other funding routes south of the border.

Hope you have some joy sourcing funding elsewhere.

Ta

Rach